Thread: when is the appropriate time to lodge the application?

kakiNZ is offline Member

Default when is the appropriate time to lodge the application?

Hi...

I'm actually not a NZ residence and not yet a PR holder. The visa that i'm currently have is a student visa. Me and my partner have gone thru' skilled migrant application, but our PR application was declined because i couldn't find a job that is relevant to my qualification during the given 9 months work to residence visa.

My partner had no problem to get her temp work visa under partnership on her previous application while we were here in New Zealand. My partner and I have been apart for around 7 months since our last WTR visa expired. Therefore, we both went back to our own country (we are from different country). During this 7 months we did fly to visit each other and my last visit was in May 2011. We also contacting each other by phone call, skype and facebook daily.

So, last month i had been approved to come back to NZ with student visa for further studying. That's why my partner is coming to join me in another couple weeks with waived visitor visa. What worries us is that waived visitor visa is just valid for 3 months, and INZ processing time may be a while, we never know. In order to give INZ more time to process and to play safe, I'm wondering can my partner starts applying for the temp work visa under partnership once she arrives? Or it is better for her to apply few weeks after or a month after her arrival?

Anyone has a view on this matter please?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated..thank you

cheers
    kaki
    Last edited by kakiNZ; 23-08-2011 at 05:08 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

This is all it says about applying for a work visa under partnership:

Your partner holds a New Zealand student visa

You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner and they must hold a New Zealand student visa to study for:

•a level seven (or higher) qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
    •a postgraduate qualification.

Where it talks about the person being a NZ citizen or resident, it says the partner can apply as long as they are living together at the time the application is made so perhaps it's the same if you're on a Student Visa. It's not clear. In here it tells you what evidence you need to supply.

Your partner is a student visa holder

You must supply evidence of your partner’s student visa or eligibility to obtain a student visa to study for:

•a level seven qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in areas of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
    •a postgraduate qualification.

You could have a look through this which is a new type of visa that helps people who have submitted an application but may run out of time before their application is granted and need more time.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.