Thread: Help needed for working holiday -> residency

themanwhocan is offline Junior Member

Default Help needed for working holiday -> residency

Hi, I am in need of some advice and would be greatly appreciative of any help you guys can provide.

I have been in NZ for 18 months now. I initially arrived from the UK without any applied-for visa (we get 6 months). After 1 month my application for a Working Holiday visa was accepted for 23 months. During the entire duration of my stay it has been my intention to apply for residency but due to the cost I have only been able to start the process now.

My most likely way to gain residency is through the family category as my father is an NZ citizen and I have no other immediate relatives (mother deceased). However apparently this will take 18-24 months before being looked at and my visa expires in 6 months. I am really hoping to find a way to remain in NZ because I have a relationship here, all of my family is here, basically my life is here.

Is anyone able to suggest a way or if it's even possible for me to remain here after my working holiday expires?

Thank you for your time.

After reading through several of the other posts here I realize there is potential in the Family Stream Visa category, as my partner and I are very serious (not currently living together but that could be remedied).

However this does raise more questions, mainly am I eligible to apply for this visa after being here for 18 months on a Working Holiday?

Thanks again.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The Family Stream application for residency may be a little more involved and long-winded to achieve if you are initially just wanting a way to stay in NZ long enough to submit and progress an application for residency. It's the Temporary work permit through partnership that might be your best bet as it seems to indicate that you only need to be living together at the time your application is put in. Once you have that under your belt, you can go on to apply for residency and can renew the work visa until your residency comes through. I would think you should be able to apply for this while you are still on your WHV. When/If the work visa is granted, it will cancel out your WHV I'm only assuming your partner is either a kiwi or holds NZ residency as per the requirements?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    The Family Stream application for residency may be a little more involved and long-winded to achieve if you are initially just wanting a way to stay in NZ long enough to submit and progress an application for residency. It's the Temporary work permit through partnership that might be your best bet as it seems to indicate that you only need to be living together at the time your application is put in. Once you have that under your belt, you can go on to apply for residency and can renew the work visa until your residency comes through. I would think you should be able to apply for this while you are still on your WHV. When/If the work visa is granted, it will cancel out your WHV I'm only assuming your partner is either a kiwi or holds NZ residency as per the requirements?
    Hey

Yes my partner is a kiwi. You suggest applying for the Temporary Work through partnership before applying for residency? Do you think they would be more likely to decline this visa if they know I have a pending application for residency?

Thanks for your advice :)

Hi I could use a further little bit of help with this query, having looked at the site I noticed this:

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    I have already been in NZ for 18 months, and I don't really understand what this sentence actually means?

Any clarification would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Interesting point. Basically, it means that you need to be living with your partner when your application for a work visa under partnership is submitted. It also means that your partner needs to be in a position to support your application for residency under partnership within 12 months of your arrival in NZ, but it doesn't appear to mention what happens if you're already established in the country . It would be worth asking INZ directly what would happen under these circumstances as, so far, I can't find they have addressed this situation on their website. Maybe they would take the date of submission of your application as the starting point as, I guess, they might consider people coming into the country would want to start such an application a.s.a.p. when they start living with their partner. This is only my take on it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.