Thread: Partnership work visa and PR questions

buck is offline Junior Member

Default Partnership work visa and PR questions

Hi

Iím in need of some advice please :)

The situation:
    Iím a NZ citizen (by birth) in a relationship with a Swiss woman. We are not married. We have lived together in NZ for a year, after which she returned home for 6 months. I travelled to her country during this time and spent 3 of these months with her there. The relationship has been continuous over this 18 month period.

She was able to stay in NZ at first on a holiday visa (for 6 months) and afterwards on a 6 months partnership based work permit.

Now she is back in NZ (on a holiday visa) and we are about to apply for another work permit (partnership based).

We would like to remain together in NZ (long term). What would be the best course of action in terms of:
    -What length of work permit (12 or 24 months)?
    -When to apply for permanent residency?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Buck and welcome.

Have your read through this ?

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

•be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    •meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    •intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    •provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work visas for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

•you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    •you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

buck is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had read that. We are able to fullfill all the criteria.

We are just slightly unsure about the best way to proceed long term.

We could apply for a 2 year work visa and then apply for PR.

What do most people do? Should we apply for PR straight away or is this differcult to attain?

Blog Entries

If she goes for the work permit under partnership and then wants to apply for residency during that time, there's nothing to stop her if, as I said, she meets the requirements. If she has job skills that are on the Essential Skills in Demand Lists she could apply for residency on her own but this would take some time to go through so going via the work permit under partnership route and then applying for residency once this has been granted seems the best way to go if you want to be together sooner.
    Mother Bear

kakiNZ is offline Member

Default PArtner visa

Hi there,

How's your application going? My partner is having partnership application difficulty as well.

I'm on student visa and lately just returned to NZ having my postgraduate study. My partner is coming to join me in NZ but she is having difficulty with her family stream temp work permit application. Since we are from different country and we have been aparted since DEC 2010 which is about 7 months now. But during this periods we did keep contacting each other and i have been visited her twice in her country.

She was told by her case officer that she does not meet the living together requirement even though we do prove to her our visits to each other, skype contacts, our joint account, join name car...

I'm wondering is the officer meant when the time lodging the application, the applicant has to be living together with his/her partner? Can my partner just came to NZ with visitor and then later apply for work permit under family stream?

cheers

Blog Entries

It's only if she is applying for a work permit under partnership, as mentioned above, that the clause You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made applies. It implies there shouldn't be a need to prove you have been living together for 12+ months as you do when applying for residency under partnership.
    Mother Bear

kakiNZ is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    It's only if she is applying for a work permit under partnership, as mentioned above, that the clause You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made applies. It implies there shouldn't be a need to prove you have been living together for 12+ months as you do when applying for residency under partnership.
    So is that mean my partner can start to apply for work permit under partnership once she arrives NZ? cause for sure we will be living together when she got here. We had been living together while we were in NZ for last couple years and had been submitted and got approved for work visa under partnership twice. Do we need to give an explanation on cover letter why we were apart for this 7 months?

thanks.

cheers
    kaki

Blog Entries

If INZ check back through her records they may see that she has had previous visas granted and might raise a few questions about another one now but if you have a good reason for having being apart it might be OK. As she's had other work visas through partnership, I'm sure they will want to know why she didn't go on the apply for residency then. If they accept her explanation, I would hope it would be OK, but if there is any doubt about whether she is serious about settling in NZ with you, it might cause problems.
    Mother Bear

kakiNZ is offline Member

Hi motherbear,

thank you for your information.

I'm actually not a NZ residence and not yet a PR holder. The visa that i'm currently holding is a student visa. Me and my partner have gone thru' skilled migrant application, but our PR application was declined because i couldn't find a job that is relevant to my qualification during the given 9 months work to residence visa. So my partner and I have been aparted since our last WTR visa expired and we both went back to our country (We both from different country and met up here in NZ and have been together since then and want and plan to stay permenantly in NZ).

So, lately i have just got approval to come back to NZ with student visa to further my study in July. That's why my partner is coming to join me next month with waived visitor visa, and we are wondering can she starts applying the temp work visa under partnership once she arrives? Or it will be better for her to apply it few weeks after or a month after? Because it usually takes awhile for INZ to process the visa, we afraid that the visa does not come in time and the 3 months waived visitor visa is going to expired, and my partner will missed the job that has been offered to us as we plan to go back to our previous employer to work during summer holiday at the end of November.

So that's our concern: When is the appropraite time for my partner to send in her temp work visa application under student visa partnership holder.

Sorry for did not mention clearly on my current status.

Hope to hear from you.

kaki