Thread: Working to Residency under Family Categorie

yaya is offline Junior Member

Default Working to Residency under Family Categorie

Hi

My Situation goes something like this, I will try and keep it brief and hope for some pointers in the right direction if this is not the way to go about things.

My Girl lives in the USA, we met online and she wants to move to NZ and be with me, seems we currently havnt spent any quality time together this is the way I think I will go about this.

A) She will apply for a visitors visa for 9 months, have the money to support herself, return flights etc.

B) once in NZ we will look for a place together, do everything required to show INZ that we are a genuine couple and apply for a temp work visa as my partner in around 3 months from her arrival. Obviously as we will show evidence of 3 months together we will only be eligable for a 12 month visa.

So my real questions are is this the right way to go about it?

And once INZ are satisfied and grant us a 12 month work visa whats the best way to go from there to get residency? Apply for another 12 month extension to her work visa then apply for residency giving us plenty of time for it to be approved?

Last thing we need is for her work visa to run out and she have to leave the country while we wait for approval on her residency.

thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I guess you are a NZ citizen or resident and this is the visa type you're looking at? You don't need to prove a long term relationship, just that you are living together at the time she applies for this work permit so it should be pretty straight forward. You already seem to have a good idea of what is required.

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

•be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    •meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    •intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    •provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.
    If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work visas for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

•you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    •you apply for residence as a partner.

Once you've both put in sufficient time to qualify for a residency application under Partnership, you could look at this although it appears to apply to those living outside of NZ but should be the same, as a normal Partnership residence application. Applying for a further work visa will allow enough time for the application to go through, thereby ensuring that your girl is adequately covered by valid visas during this time. Knowing that INZ will be looking for evidence of a 'genuine and stable' relationship, it should be easy enough to collect such evidence as you go along.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

yaya is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    I guess you are a NZ citizen or resident and this is the visa type you're looking at? You don't need to prove a long term relationship, just that you are living together at the time she applies for this work permit so it should be pretty straight forward. You already seem to have a good idea of what is required.

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

•be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    •meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    •intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    •provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.
    If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work visas for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

•you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    •you apply for residence as a partner.

Once you've both put in sufficient time to qualify for a residency application under Partnership, you could look at this although it appears to apply to those living outside of NZ but should be the same, as a normal Partnership residence application. Applying for a further work visa will allow enough time for the application to go through, thereby ensuring that your girl is adequately covered by valid visas during this time. Knowing that INZ will be looking for evidence of a 'genuine and stable' relationship, it should be easy enough to collect such evidence as you go along.
    Thanks for the reply, yes from what I can see that link you posted getting temp work visa is all we can apply for, and im glad to read it can be straight forward enough.

So it shouldnt be a problem her getting a 9 month visitor visa if her reason for travel is to visit friends and have a holiday and obviously have the money ($1000 for each month) ?

And living here with her for 3 months would be enough to get a temp work visa?

thanks again