Thread: WHV to possible family stream...Any help will be greatly appreciated!

James79 is offline Junior Member

Smile WHV to possible family stream...Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Wanted to ask if it is possible to go from a WHV to a Family Stream permit/visa....Mainly just need to know what may be required from me to apply through family stream as far as what forms to fill out and what proof I need to provide as well as if I will need to do another police check and if this requires a full medical...also when to apply for it to hopefully receive a decison before my current WHV were to run out...Any help would be greatly appreciated...I have looked through the immigration website about this but can't seem to find more specific information as to how to proceed with my application.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi James and welcome .

I think you should be able to apply for residency while you're on a WHV athough you would need to be careful about timing because such an application can take a while and you need to make sure you have a valid visa of some type the whole time you're in the country. If your WHV looks like it's going to run out before your residency comes through, you might need to look at getting a visit visa, although I believe there is some new policy out where people who are in the process of applying for residency can get some kind of extension to their stay while they wait. I'd like to give you some links to relevant information and forms on all this so you can check for yourself but, at my end anyway, it looks like the INZ website is down at the moment.

If you are being sponsored under the Family category, it's necessary to get a job offer to aid with your application, so this is something to look at. If the validity of your police and medical certificates is going to expire before you submit an application, then you will probably need new ones.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

James79 is offline Junior Member

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the response and the welcome motherbear and the info. I am looking at the family stream at the moment due to the fact that I will not have established the requirements of 12 months in stable relationship by the time my WHV will run out to apply straight for residency due to the fact I had not met my partner until I was in New Zealand....but am open to other possibilities. Am I correct in thinking that they wouldn't give me a Visitor visa to extend my stay directly after my WHV runs out based on the idea that I have to leave NZ for 6 months to be able to come back?...I am from the US and not part of the commonwealth...And there is more to my story as happens with everyone. My partner is a Born New Zealand Citizen I would love to be able to go for residency right away but I am not sure I will have all the required proof to attempt it. And due to certain circumstances I will need the ability to work in at least a casual to fulltime basis after my WHV runs out...I am willing to take any legal route to enable me to remain in New Zealand and on good terms with immigration as well...I believe the visa you are refering to would be the new interim visa which I also looked at but not sure it seems the more I look the more I find I missed on the NZI website lol....I appreciate the help and any links you have to throw my way will be most helpful and thanks again!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You could look at this as a way of getting a temporary work permit under partnership while you live with your partner for long enough to qualify under the 'living together for 12+ months' ruling. You only need to be living together at the time you apply and can then go on to applyinh for residency later on.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.