Thread: Which Work Visa do I apply under?

Mal.practice is offline Junior Member

Default Which Work Visa do I apply under?

I arrived in NZ back in August last year on a Work to Residency process but no luck finding a full time job. I have however been offered a limited tenure lecturing position at a Polytechnic until June 2012 though it seems this does not meet policy enough for me to progress my residency. London office advised me to apply for a work visa and so I went up to Immigration office in Henderson to get forms. They said I could put my residency case letter in with my offer letter and apply separately for the Work visa but I dont know under which category. I suppose its either Essential Skills or Work to residence but not sure which is the right one. If anyone can offer any advice on this matter I would be very grateful.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you have the relevant qualifications and previous work experience, maybe they mean this. It might give you a chance to gain some NZ work experience and, who knows, the job may lead on to something bigger and more permanent.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Mal.practice is offline Junior Member

Thanks Mother Bear. Looking through the guide which I should have done in more detail first, some options are for jobs of 24 months or more so I think temporary route looks the one although Visa guide not that clear .
    Bit worried about the Police Certificate query though . I have been here in New Zealand since last August and old Certificates used for residency will be invalid. Do I have to contact my country of citizenship again or get one from Police in New Zealand which would surely be of more relevance?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Mmm, yes you'd think that, if you haven't gone back to your country since you originally left there and, therefore, hadn't been there to commit any heinious crimes , a NZ police certificate would be sufficient. Sadly, this is not so and it would apply to any other countries you may have lived in for more than a year.

Police certificates.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.