Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Extension of a 12 month work permit

  1. #1
    LauraKat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Extension of a 12 month work permit

    Hi everyone,

    My husband is originally from the US and received a 12 month partner supported work permit that expires at the end of May this year. For a number of reasons we haven't yet applied for residency so we want to apply to extend his work permit for another year now we've been living together for over a year. I know we're getting short on time and I'm starting to get very nervous.

    I've been looking all over the immigration website and I can't find any way to apply for an extension although I keep reading that it's possible to apply to extend it from 12 months to 2 years. Can anyone please help me with how to apply for an extension?

  2. #2
    Taffy's Avatar
    Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Hamilton, NZ
    Blog Entries



    I don't believe there is an extension application as such. If you have the details of the case officer who processed the initial visa, it's best to contact them. They may require a complete new application for a new visa. For some visas, they can do an electronic extension, but I don't know if this applies for you sorry. Your husband will certainly require medicals and a police certificate though, as his stay will be longer than 12 months now. I know you've said you have reasons not to, but to be honest, if it's at all possible you may be better off making a residency application instead to avoid having to keep on redoing medicals and police certificates. It's all down to your circumstances though (which I obviously don't know!), so just a thought!

    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

  3. #3
    MotherBear's Avatar
    MotherBear is offline The missing link
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries


    This mentions someone wanting to extend a 2-year work visa, so I don't know if it applies to a 1-year as well.

    I've been working in New Zealand under a temporary work visa, which allows me to work here for two years. Can I have this time extended?

    You may be able to apply for a new work visa to extend your stay and work in New Zealand. Work visas may be granted for up to three years, but there is no limit on how many times you can apply for and get a new visa.

    Whether or not you’re eligible for a new visa will depend on the reason you were granted your initial visa (some categories have 'total' time restrictions), and whether you meet the application criteria when you apply for the new visa.

    From here.
    Mother Bear

    Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Similar Threads

  1. Work permit extension options
    By Mal.practice in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-12-2010, 09:43 PM
  2. Changing a single entry work permit into a multiple entry work permit
    By rannan in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
  3. Residence application or Work Permit extension???
    By tortola in forum General NZ Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
  4. 12 Month Student Visa/Permit
    By sofi1284 in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-01-2010, 12:36 PM
  5. Work Permit Extension- Can't find job
    By Pinkpetal in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-07-2009, 05:49 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46