Thread: Work permit for ISSL job

AdamC is offline Junior Member

Default Work permit for ISSL job

Hi folks,

I'm a restaurant manager from the UK. I've been living and working in Wellington for around 10 months now. I've recently applied for a work permit as my current 23 month visa only allows me to work for 12 months and I'm fast approaching that allowance.

When I handed in my forms the rather unhelpful lady told me that as I only had relevant experience and not any qualifications in my field that my application would be passed to "back office" who would do a labour market test to see if any kiwis could do the job I've been doing for months. I would have thought that given my job is in the ISSL I would be ok.

I feel that the life I have built here with my fiancee is now at risk and I have to wait possibly 2 months to find out.

Does anyone know whether I am likely to be successful in my application? Am I doing things the right way? Is it possible to extend my current work visa without applying for a permit like I have done?

Thanks guys

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I don't know where Immigration find their front office staff. I'm guessing some kind of really rough women's prison or something! Abrupt would be a kind word, I think.

Anyway, to meet the ISSL you need to match the requirements exactly as shown on the list, next to your job. It could be that your job requires a qualification for you to be eligible, in which case they may want to market check your job. At the moment, due to the global meltdown effect, many Kiwis returned home which filled a few gaps in the market, so getting a work permit is very difficult.

It sounds like you've done all you can. If your fiancee is a Kiwi, perhaps you could look at a partnership visa if you've been in your relationship a while.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    I don't know where Immigration find their front office staff. I'm guessing some kind of really rough women's prison or something! Abrupt would be a kind word, I think.
    Oh yes, indeedy! I'll go along with that.

You could try looking at this if you want to apply for a work visa through partnership. You would need to prove your relationship is genuine and stable and this application may take a while, so it could be that you would just have to use up the non-working part of your WHV to hang around until everything flushes through. This gives approximate timings for Wellington INZ branch.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.