Thread: The old question of how to be with your partner! HELP!

geetee74 is offline Junior Member

Default The old question of how to be with your partner! HELP!

Hi folks, can I just start by saying this is the first time I have ever posted a thread. But having read some on here, folk seem to genuinely know what they are talking about.

My dilemma has been posted here before by others I'm sure.

Basically, I want to join my girlfriend in New Zealand. She has been out there for coming up on a year working for a company in Wellington. She initially went there on a holiday work visa but then got put on a contract with her company. Her contract is about to be renewed in April which will mean an additional 12 months apart on top of the 12 we will have endured already. We are not married or have children (yet) and are both UK citizens. We lived together for a short time before she left, and have been in daily contact via the likes of email, skype and cards ever since (if that adds to evidence of the fact we are most definitely a couple).

My skilled working bracket according to the Immigration table is B, the holiday work visa is out as I've already lived and worked in NZ for a year and I'm now 36 (creeeeaks). But I still have one or two contacts in NZ I'm trying to chip away at.

Can anyone please give me advice as to any part of this? Should I go to the NZ Embassy, cap in hand and plead my case there? We desperately want to be together and another 12 months apart will be really hard for us both as marriage and kids is defo on the cards.

Cheers for looking

Gee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi

You could look at the below:

Your partner holds a New Zealand work visa

If your partner holds a work visa for more than six months we may grant you a work visa for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. Your partner must:

* be eligible to support you
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.]

Have a read through the whole thing and see if you fit in.

And, yes, your dilemma has been posted on here many, many times and must be the single most popular topic we deal with.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

geetee74 is offline Junior Member

Cool

And that is why if anyone knew what to do it would be you guys!

Thank you so much for the information Motherbear, its just the wee kickstart we are after!

Fingers crossed, NZ here I come......(well 2 weeks time it will be woop woop!).

Gee