Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa free country/ overstay..

Norwegian is offline Junior Member

Default Visa free country/ overstay..

Hi, i have a partner who is NZ citizen.. we've been together for a year.
    I went to NZ to visit him and spend some time with him. When i asked about my visa (btw i am norwegian citizen) they told me that i could stay up to 9 months... but nobody told me that i have to apply for extended visa after 3 months...so i overstayed 7 months.
    As soon i realised that i left the contry.
    At the airport nobody told me anything about my overstay.
    INZ require that partners should be in a genuine and stable relationship. And we are in such one... I have enough evidence for that.
    My question is if i go back to NZ on tourist visa again will they let me in? Or how does it work?
    I would like to go back and have a wedding there instead of Norway. Will it work if i provide return ticket becouse i have to come back to Norway and sell my flat..and some other stuff.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Overstaying is a delicate matter with INZ. If you were to just arrive as a visitor again (provided you weren't declined boarding in the first place), you would most likely be declined entry to the country as in their eyes, you are likely to overstay again. The best course of action would have been to contact INZ at the time you realised you had overstayed, to explain the mistake made and find the best course of action. As you left without saying anything, I'd think it's going to be difficult to get a new visa. What's on your side is that you left voluntarily when you realised and Norway would ordinarily be a "low risk" country, but in situations like this it's advisable to seek professional help to present your case to INZ.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, it's a shame that you didn't take the opportunity to explain to INZ before you left NZ so they could understand how you came to overstay. They can be very hard on overstayers. Now you may find that your details are flagged with Immigration, so that, if you try to get back into NZ, it will show up on their screens as you enter the country (if you get that far). Because it is a difficult matter to deal with, as Taffy says, if you can afford it, getting professional help from an immigration adviser might help to put your case to INZ in the best possible way. It might carry more weight than if you try on your own. You appear to have a valid reason for overstaying and are intending to get married to a kiwi, so at least you have something to build a case on.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

I was sooo afraid of being deported... then i wouldn't have a chance at all. That's why i didn't contact INZ in the first place.
    I think i'll just give them a call and seek advice. I don't wanna loose love of my life cuz' of my stupid mistake.
    I'm sure INZ are humans and not robots
    Anyway as Telly said Norway is a *low risk* country and i didn't came to NZ to exploit NZ welfare ...
    I just found love there.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    I'm sure INZ are humans and not robots
    I wouldn't be so sure
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

So i managed to get in touch with NZ embassy and explained my situation. I want to share this with you guys who made a stupid mistake as i did, and learn something from this.
    But of course every situation is different.
    I was completely honest with the visa officer at the embassy. And he told me that i should apply for work holiday visa to be allowed to enter NZ again.
    If i tried just to board a plane as a tourist i would be declined boarding for sure.

Further he told me to write a letter and explain the reason for my overstay and why i want to go back to NZ.
    So i did all that and sending the docs. first thing in the morning. Hopefully they will be able to erase my name from the "bad girls list" and let me be with my love.
    Wish me luck...
    AND DON'T OVERSTAY YOUR VISA!

Blog Entries

AND DON'T OVERSTAY YOUR VISA!
    Good advice, Norwegian! And good luck with your plea to INZ. Perhaps someone with some common sense and a heart will understand your mistake and let you in again.

Good luck!
    Mother Bear

A small update, INZ asked me to apply for a partnership visa. And now i am collecting the evidence, should be easy enough but again so much stress!
    The hardest part is finding photos of us together, we lost every single photo when our laptop had a crash! And now i'm asking friends to find some photos...so i hope it's enough with 2-3 pics.

But the best advice is to get in touch with an immigration officer, he or she will tell you what you need to do. And they are really nice people trying to help you in the best possible way.
    So there... Yet some stressful days to overcome.

Blog Entries

A small update, INZ asked me to apply for a partnership visa.
    Result!

Good luck with your application. Hope it goes well for you.

AND ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR PHOTOS ON A SEPARATE HARD DRIVE .
    Mother Bear

Default Oh happy day!

Visa approved today. I've never been so happy in my life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast