Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Work visa for my parter,

  1. #1
    ironalice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default Work visa for my parter,

    So I will run through my situation as best I can and hope for some answers to help me a bit here.

    First of all, I met through online a girl from the USA, been constantly talking and in each others lives for an 8 month period. ( I know this doesnt count as stable relationship but its how we got close)

    She has recently been here to NZ for a 2 weeks stay and we know we are right for each other (I asked her to marry me on that stay, ring and all after she said YES )

    The next step for us is her applying for a fiance visa to get me over to the US and marry her.

    So my questions are these:

    Once that fiance visa has been approved, and I obviously get over there living with her for 3 months and getting married, would this be seen as stable enough to apply for a 1 year work permit as my parter to get her here after that 3 months im there?

    Secondly whats the best way to go do this, she come here and stay with me for 3 months and apply while she is here?

    That way it will give us 6 months together, but keeping im mind she will have to leave after 3 months as a condition of coming here for a holiday only.

    But what are the best options for us here?

    any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Taffy's Avatar
    Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NZ
    Posts
    3,408
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Hi,

    Living with her for 3 months in the US, as long as you can prove this then that could be enough for a partnership work visa. Obviously, the longer you can be together before applying the better, but mainly evidence of a genuine and stable relationship is key.
    Taffy

    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

  3. #3
    ironalice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    So ways of prooving we are living together while in the US would be getting my name with hers on a tennancy argeement, anything else?

    What are immigration looking the most at? im guessing a marriage certificate would just show we are in a realationship but obviously doesnt proove its stable.

    What kind of photos are they looking for? I know I read that somehwere,

  4. #4
    ironalice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    One other thing im unsure about is the medical she needs to do before being approved.
    Since its possible we will apply for this visa while we are both still in the US, how is the medical done?

  5. #5
    MotherBear's Avatar
    MotherBear is offline The missing link
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Posts
    11,180
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironalice View Post
    Once that fiance visa has been approved, and I obviously get over there living with her for 3 months and getting married, would this be seen as stable enough to apply for a 1 year work permit as my parter to get her here after that 3 months im there?
    You're right when you say marriage alone doesn't count for anything in a residency application for NZ. It's the quality of your relationship that matters to INZ, whether married or not, and living together for a period of time is a large part of this.

    These are some of the things you can use to prove a relationship:

    Evidence about whether the partnership is genuine and stable may include but is not limited to, original or certified copies of documents and any other information such as:

    a marriage certificate for the parties;
    a civil union certificate for the parties;
    birth certificates of any children of the parties;
    evidence of communication between the parties;
    photographs of the parties together; (taken over a period of time i.e. either date-stamped or showing different hairstyles or other changes that prove time has passed between photos)
    documents indicating public recognition of the partnership;
    evidence of the parties being committed to each other both emotionally and exclusively such as evidence of:
    joint decision making and plans together
    sharing of parental obligations
    sharing of household activities
    sharing of companionship/spare time
    sharing of leisure and social activities
    presentation by the parties to outsiders as a couple.
    evidence of being financially interdependent such as evidence of
    shared income
    joint bank accounts operated reasonably frequently over a reasonable time
    joint assets
    joint liabilities such as loans or credit to purchase real estate, cars, major home appliances
    joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, water, telephone)
    mutually agreed financial arrangements.


    Regarding the medical, usually a panel doctor (specially selected by INZ for immigration purposes) has to be consulted but, in America, there are no panel doctors, so she can simply use any GP. This tells her a little about it and there are links to other information. If she clicks on 'approved list' for panel doctors and enters United States of America, below that it should confirm that she can use any GP. The other link will bring up the medical form that need to be completed by the GP. It is quite lengthy and in-depth and must be no older than 3 months by the time it is submitted to INZ. She just needs to approach the doctor with the form and request he/she takes her through it.

    Whether you live together in the US or in NZ doesn't really matter. You could start off with 3 months in America and then bring her to NZ in order to extend this period.
    Mother Bear

    Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

  6. #6
    ironalice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    You're right when you say marriage alone doesn't count for anything in a residency application for NZ. It's the quality of your relationship that matters to INZ, whether married or not, and living together for a period of time is a large part of this.

    These are some of the things you can use to prove a relationship:

    Evidence about whether the partnership is genuine and stable may include but is not limited to, original or certified copies of documents and any other information such as:

    a marriage certificate for the parties;
    a civil union certificate for the parties;
    birth certificates of any children of the parties;
    evidence of communication between the parties;
    photographs of the parties together; (taken over a period of time i.e. either date-stamped or showing different hairstyles or other changes that prove time has passed between photos)
    documents indicating public recognition of the partnership;
    evidence of the parties being committed to each other both emotionally and exclusively such as evidence of:
    joint decision making and plans together
    sharing of parental obligations
    sharing of household activities
    sharing of companionship/spare time
    sharing of leisure and social activities
    presentation by the parties to outsiders as a couple.
    evidence of being financially interdependent such as evidence of
    shared income
    joint bank accounts operated reasonably frequently over a reasonable time
    joint assets
    joint liabilities such as loans or credit to purchase real estate, cars, major home appliances
    joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, water, telephone)
    mutually agreed financial arrangements.


    Regarding the medical, usually a panel doctor (specially selected by INZ for immigration purposes) has to be consulted but, in America, there are no panel doctors, so she can simply use any GP. This tells her a little about it and there are links to other information. If she clicks on 'approved list' for panel doctors and enters United States of America, below that it should confirm that she can use any GP. The other link will bring up the medical form that need to be completed by the GP. It is quite lengthy and in-depth and must be no older than 3 months by the time it is submitted to INZ. She just needs to approach the doctor with the form and request he/she takes her through it.

    Whether you live together in the US or in NZ doesn't really matter. You could start off with 3 months in America and then bring her to NZ in order to extend this period.
    With regarding providing wheather the relationship is genuine, I saw under the temporary work visa section :

    "If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months"

    so how much of that evidence are they looking for with a relationship less than a year in order to grant this visa?

    Sure I can spend 3 months in America with her, get my name on a tennancy agreement , but what needs to be considerd is the fact is I wont be able to work over there in that time, sure we can spend it all as a couple, get documents from friends, family etc, and show all the time we spend and do things together and so on, but the "financially interdependent" part will be hard if she is the only one working over there but supporting me dont you think?

    Same if I then after 3 months bring her here for a holiday she will obviously have to have a return ticket ... we could document time together again on this 3 months but thats about it really .

    But if she is going to come here for that 3 months, be best to apply when she gets here, and NZI knowing she is here with me for that 3 months and living together?

  7. #7
    ironalice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Okay, I have one more question to ask . The worse thing we want to do is rush into something, so taking away the option of me staying in America for 3 months and getting married what else do we have to convince NZI we are in a relationship?

    I am looking at the sponsorship option as a partner.

    As she is from USA I know she can stay here for 3 months without a visa, just needs sufficient funds and a return ticket.

    But under this she has to leave after 3 months.

    So if we were to do the sponsorship option and get her here for between 9 and 12 months would she have to apply for the visiting visa then?

    lastly:

    What do I have to earn to be eligable as a sponser?

    AND

    If we can proove in that 9-12 months we are in a proper relationship and i have been supporting her, can she apply for a temp work permit as my partner for 1 or 2 years before she goes back?

  8. #8
    MotherBear's Avatar
    MotherBear is offline The missing link
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Posts
    11,180
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironalice View Post
    Okay, I have one more question to ask .

    So if we were to do the sponsorship option and get her here for between 9 and 12 months would she have to apply for the visiting visa then?

    lastly:

    What do I have to earn to be eligable as a sponser?

    AND

    If we can proove in that 9-12 months we are in a proper relationship and i have been supporting her, can she apply for a temp work permit as my partner for 1 or 2 years before she goes back?
    Hey, that's 3 questions!

    If you're looking at sponsoring her for a Temporary Entry Visa this explains what is required of you. I can't see that it mentions how much you need to earn to sponsor her, only that you would need to have enough to support her. If she would arrive in NZ under her own steam as a visitor she would just need to prove she can support herself while she's there. Before her 3 months' visa-free stay was up, she would need to apply for a visit visa.

    You could look at this work visa under partnership after you've been living together for 3 or more months.
    Mother Bear

    Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

  9. #9
    ironalice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hey, that's 3 questions!

    If you're looking at sponsoring her for a Temporary Entry Visa this explains what is required of you. I can't see that it mentions how much you need to earn to sponsor her, only that you would need to have enough to support her. If she would arrive in NZ under her own steam as a visitor she would just need to prove she can support herself while she's there. Before her 3 months' visa-free stay was up, she would need to apply for a visit visa.

    You could look at this work visa under partnership after you've been living together for 3 or more months.

    Thanks! This is all slowly starting to come together.
    Just one last bit im hoping you can help with (or anyone who reads this post)

    I understand she can come here for 3 months under the wavier, in that time we would get a place with joint tennancy, put her name on my bank account as joint, and get this evidence and time we need started.

    So once she is here under the wavier, she can apply for the visit visa, and extend her stay from 6-9 months right?

    Anyone know how long that takes to process, and when she should apply for that? like within 1 month her or what?

    so between us we will have the money to show that she has atleast $9,000 (1k for each month needed as a visitor) so no problems there.


    The thing I really want to know from someone is the time to then apply for the work visa as my partner.

    once she is granted the visit visa we have another 9 months together, but obviously we would apply for the work visa within 3 monts of that time.

    so 6 months would be plenty to approve it .

    these are the things that confuse me tho.

    The work permit as a parter less than 12 months is granted FROM THE TIME SHE ARRIVES HERE ... so this means it counts from the time she got here under the wavier right???

    Do they also count the time it takes to approve the work visa?

    what im getting at here is by then they may only approve her visa for 3 months to work, then what?

    so all up we would have had 3 months under the wavier, 3 months on holiday visa (then we apply for work permit) then the time together while it gets approved.

    so if she gets 3-6 months work permit, how do you apply for an extension of that work permit????

    once it runs out we would have had that year together, but you cant stay in NZ with no current visa to apply for longer.

    which means if she was granted 3-6 months work, we would need to apply for another 1 year extension almost right away right?

    sorry for the questions but i need to be sure here.

  10. #10
    MotherBear's Avatar
    MotherBear is offline The missing link
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Posts
    11,180
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironalice View Post
    I understand she can come here for 3 months under the wavier,
    Waiver? I guess you mean she would need to enter NZ on a visit visa (free), which would allow her 3 months in the country. Before that 3 months has expired, she'll need to apply for an extension to the visit visa. During this time I would imagine the application for a work visa under partnership could be submitted. You should have some solid evidence of your relationship by then. How long it takes to process the application for a work visa depends on where it's submitted and how busy that branch is at the time. Which branch of INZ would you be using?

    I would hope the visit visa extension wouldn't take that long as it should be straight forward. On the partnership work visa page it does say:
    If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work visas for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

    * you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.


    .... so that should you help you both to complete the 12 months of living together. I note from one of your previous posts that your girlfriend doesn't intend staying in NZ if you say she's going back to the US? From this I guess she won't be applying for residency and only needs a work visa?
    Mother Bear

    Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Graduate Job Search Work visa or Closed Work Visa
    By piks in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-12-2010, 10:47 AM
  2. after job offer, work-to-residence visa or work visa/permit ?
    By hottdogg in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-01-2010, 10:48 AM
  3. partnership open work visa V's visitors Visa
    By PerpleX in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
  4. How do i convert my Student Visa in to Work permit visa
    By meet.mistry in forum Work Permit / Working Holiday Visa Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
  5. work to residence visa - Time allowed to start work
    By subh in forum General NZ Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-09-2008, 02:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46