Thread: Marrying a new zealander as a tourist-urgent !!!!!

gowutheo is offline Junior Member

Default Marrying a new zealander as a tourist-urgent !!!!!

Hi folks,
    may I continue to worry u guys here.Just hate to make mistakes and regret later.
    Is it possible to go to nz as a tourist and marry a new zealander?.Are there any rules regarding this move?.plzz help!!
    I mean tourist without any partner sponsorship.Just a normal tourist visa application.
    Last edited by gowutheo; 17-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

You can get married on a visitors visa, there's no problem there. You will need to check with whoever is carrying out the marriage as to what they may require in order to carry out the wedding so you have all the required documents with you. I think in some cases you also need to inform your countries embassy of your marriage, so make sure you ask about that too.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

gowutheo is offline Junior Member

Thanks Taffy,
    And after marriage,do I need to leave nz before I apply for a 12 months permit?.Can the visa be changed during my stay with my wife?.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you're talking about the work visa under partnership, it mentions in the link that you need to be living together at the time you apply, so I guess that means you need to be in NZ. I wouldn't say your visit visa would be changed into a work visa. The work visa would be a separate application and I wouldn't like to say how long it would take to be granted.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

It's not as easy as arriving, getting married and then applying for a work visa. Although there is no time assigned to how long you must have been together, you must still satisfy Immigration that you are in a genuine and stable relationship, and getting married doesn't fulfill that requirement. Unless you have sufficient evidence to support your relationship, you may have to live together while you are on a visitors visa in order to meet the initial requirements. Once you reach that point, you can be granted a work visa for up to one year from your arrival date in NZ, so if you were 3 months as a visitor, you will only get a 9 month work visa, then you can apply for an extension of a work visa, and apply for residency under partnership once you've met the 12 month requirement of living together.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.