Thread: Work Visa on Partnership

anah_syu is offline Junior Member

Default Work Visa on Partnership

Hello everyone
    I've been in NZ for 53days on a limited purpose visa(visitors visa) Oct 27-Dec19, 2010..on the purpose of visiting my kiwi partner..we've been together for a year now, meet twice before my visit to NZ. am i able to apply for a work visa under partnership even if we lived together less than two months for the purpose of wanting to be with for long?

thanks for the reply.

anne

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I think you would need to leave NZ before you could apply for another visa type.

L2.35 Limitations to which holders of limited visas are subject

See also Immigration Act 2009 ss 61, 80(2), 85, 175, 378

The holder of a limited visa is subject to the following limitations:

1. the holder must leave New Zealand no later than the date on which the visa expires; and
    2. the holder may not apply for a visa of a different class or type, whether before or after their visa expires, while in New Zealand; and
    3. the holder may not request a special direction under section 378, or a visa under section 61 of the Immigration Act 2009, whether before or after the visa expires, while in New Zealand; or
    4. the holder may not, whether before or after the visa expires, appeal to a court, the Tribunal (other than an appeal under sections 194 or 195) or otherwise; or
    5. the holder will not be granted an interim visa; and
    6. the holder is liable for deportation if unlawfully in New Zealand after the limited visa expires; and
    7. the holder can be served with a deportation order as soon as the limited visa has expired unless section 175(1)(a) applies.

From here and click on L2.35 on the left.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks..yes i already left NZ..i followed what my visa stated. my questions was am i able now to apply for work visa through partnership, even if we lived together less than two months for the purpose of staying with my partner long?is it possible or shall i apply for visitors visa again?

thanks

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You won't get a partnership visa for only 2 months of staying together. Spending a couple of months together as a visitor doesn't really constitute living together. You would need to be living together for much longer than that to qualify, probably at least 6 months consecutively, if not more - 9 months is common in my experience. I don't know if the visa arrangement for your home country would allow a visitors visa for up to 6 months? Maybe your partner could go and live with you for a few months?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

hello..thanks for the reply taffy and motherbear
    he cant live with me long for now because of work..he is a police officer in NZ. yes they could give 6months visit visa if im a millionaire..lol well im just praying that they give me a longer stay in NZ on my next visit this year. immigration officers in my country are too picky and had a bad record of attitude problem..lol

thanks

Blog Entries

Maybe you could look at this . It's a work permit for those that have partners who are NZ citizens or residents. It can lead on to an application for residency and also mentions that you need to be living together at the time the application is made. It doesn't mention the requirement that you have lived together for a minimum of 12 months.

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

* be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work visas for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Hi Motherbear..u mean by 'living together at the time the application is made' is that we are literally living together and we apply? or experienced living together even for a while? sorry got confused and what to make sure, i understand perfectly..:) thanks

anne

Blog Entries

As I understand it, you need to be living together at the time when the application goes in. If you go into the link and click on the other link for 'genuine and stable relationship' it doesn't say you need to have lived together for the usual 12+ months. If this is incorrect, perhaps someone will point it out.
    Mother Bear

hoping2win is offline Junior Member

Default which visa

you say your partner in NZ is a police officer? Then he should visit the nearest office of INZ if possible and ask what is the best procedure. Be aware that you often get a different response from different INZ officers. I am in similar position to you (not lived together under same roof for 12 months) but I understand that as long as you can show that you met before you apply for the visa (obviosly you did) and that the realtionship is genuine and that you have valid reasons for living apart, you should be able to get a work visa so that you can live together here for long enough to apply for PR. Also he can have a chat to his local MP if all else fails. A friend of mine got residency for a "gal from Wales" using a letter from a policeman, he happened to be their landlord and he attested to their genuiness.
    Good luck....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoping2win View Post
    Be aware that you often get a different response from different INZ officers.
    Unfortunately, this is true.
    Mother Bear