Thread: Advise on Family Stream visa please

punto is offline Junior Member

Post Advise on Family Stream visa please

Hello,

Im looking for some advice on applying for a work visa based on my relationship with my partner. She is New Zealand national. I am UK national.

We have been together for just over a year, but have not lived together yet, but I think we have enough evidence to prove we are in a stable relationship.

She is currently in New Zealand having returned to go to her qualifying ceremony to become a lawyer and her UK visa having finished. I am still in the UK as i have to work the remainder of my contract after handing in my notice.

Do you think it would be best to apply in the UK explaining that we are only apart due to circumstances or should I just head over to New Zealand on my passport (which allows me stay for up to 6 months) then apply in New Zealand once we are living together?
    My only concern with flying over just on my passport, is what do I say at the border. Do I just tell them I am her to visit my girlfriend? Worried that this may not go down to well.

Would love to hear from other people who have been in a similar circumstance and how they went about it.

I'm finding it all a very stressful really and would love any advice that can be offered.

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to MTNZ.

The visa type you would probably need is this and the relevant bit regarding your relationship could be this....

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

* be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

This visa can also take you on to residency, if you decide you want to stay in NZ permanently.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Don't worry about what to say at the border, you are perfectly entitled to be visiting your girlfriend and see the country! There's also nothing wrong with having a view to stay either, 10's of thousands of people are doing the same, the immigration officials only concerns are whether you are eligible to enter (i.e not a drug runner or convicted murderer!), or you are likely to breach any conditions of your visa (work illegally or overstay your visa entitlement).

You have been in a relationship for 12 months, she's asked you to come and see New Zealand with a view to making it your home. There's nothing wrong with that!

I would think you would be better served applying in New Zealand, as I believe you need to to have been living together for at least a short time to be entitled to any partner visas.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.