Thread: Open Work Permit (have questions and I am confused... need clarity)

Mizz_Kimmy35 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Open Work Permit (have questions and I am confused... need clarity)

Hi everyone,

I am a South African and have arrived in NZ on the 31st October with my husband and I am so happy being here. NZ is the best!!!

There is just one question I have and I hope someone can answer because I am totally confused.

My husband just recently received a job offer and is applying for his work permit. Should his permit be approved, do I also still have to apply for a permit? Or do I automatically qualify? If I do, do I also have to have a medical done?

I was just wondering... because should I fail the medical, would I be required to go back to SA and leave my husband here?

very very confused and would appreciate your help!!!

My BMI is over 35 and I am worried that they will fail me due to that...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Quoting from the INZ website...

Health requirements for temporary entry to New Zealand – students, workers, and visitors

To be able to enter New Zealand as a student, worker, or visitor we need to be assured that you and any family members with you have an acceptable standard of health. We impose this requirement to protect public health in New Zealand and to ensure that people entering New Zealand do not impose excessive costs and demands on our health and special education services. We also want to make sure that people who enter New Zealand are able to undertake the work or study for which they have been granted entry.

If you intend to give birth in New Zealand you are not considered to have an acceptable standard of health as it is likely you will impose significant costs and demands on New Zealand’s health services.

Generally, we will not approve the entry of people to New Zealand if they have:

* active pulmonary tuberculosis (TB)
    * a relatively high probability of needing publicly funded health services during their stay in New Zealand, including, but not limited to:
    o hospitalisation
    o residential care*
    o high-cost pharmaceuticals
    o high-cost disability services
    * applied for a student visa/permit, and are under 21 years of age and likely to qualify for ongoing and reviewable resourcing schemes (ORRS) funding.

* Residential care is long-term care provided in a live-in facility such as an aged-person’s facility or a facility for people with a physical, sensory, intellectual, or psychiatric disability.

Example

A person who requires dialysis treatment is likely to have their application to sudy, work, or visit in New Zealand declined.

Each applicant who intends to stay in New Zealand for more than six months and who has risk factors for TB is required to complete (and submit with their application) a Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate.

Each applicant who intends to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months is required to complete (and submit with their application) a Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate.

Pregnant women and children under the age of 11 years are not required to submit the Chest X-ray certificate unless a special report is required.
    Related Links

For full details on health requirements, see our Health Requirements Leaflet (NZIS 1121) PDF.

From here.

If your BMI is too high, I'm sure you would be given the chance to try to do something about lowering it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Just another stupid question....

I am new to this whole immigration process...

My husband's work has fallen under the Essential skills list...

How does one know if your application has been approved, and what is the process thereafter? Do they post your passports back to you, stamped? How does one get your visa card?

This probably sounds so silly, but I can't seem to get an answer anywhere...

Kim

Hlo1 is offline Junior Member

You can phone the immigration call centre and get all the info from them. Tel 914 4100.

When they are done with the application they will courier his passport back to him.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Hlo1; 27-01-2011 at 11:10 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Kim

I guess you are asking about applying for permanent residency? If your husband wants to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, he would need sufficient points to qualify.

Here are a few links to help you understand the process a bit more.

About the Essential Skills in Demand Lists
    The Expression of Interest
    Points Table
    Points Indicator

If you use the additional links to the left and right of the main script, I hope you can build up a picture of what is required. If your husband applies online, he should also be able to follow the progress of the application online as its status changes over time. He won't get a visa card if he is granted residency, he will have blue stickers in his passport as will you as you are his spouse.

If you have any questions after reading through this, please don't hestitate to ask.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.