Thread: WP delay, dual passport early entry option?

jada is offline Junior Member

Default WP delay, dual passport early entry option?

Hello,

I applied for a 1 yr work visa based on partnership here in Canada on June 15th, 2010. Painfully, I am still waiting to receive it! There have been several requests for further info over these months and thankfully, I have not been turned down and am still hoping for the best. I haven't been able to get a response or update on the status of the application for the last three weeks. I am getting pretty tired of waiting after five months and am in a holding pattern here with my life. But I had an idea to potentially get me to NZ to be with my partner while I continue to wait for my visa.

I am a dual citizen of Canada and the US. The NZ high commission has my Canadian passport in order to issue the visa, but I have no indication of when it may arrive since the guidelines on the website say anywhere from 20 days to three months and my wait time has well exceeded that. What I have considered doing is to travel to NZ on my US passport and enter on a standard visitors visa, reunite with my partner and wait for my visa there so at least we can be together. When it arrives, have it shipped to me in NZ. In theory, I imagine I would need to leave the country (perhaps fly to OZ) to get an exit stamp on my US passport and re-enter on my Canadian Passport to activate my work permit. Is it possible to accomplish this switch of info without leaving the country if I go to INZ? More importantly, is this a valid idea just to get me back to NZ to be with my sweetheart in the meantime?

The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my opportunity to live and work in NZ, are there potential problems with this idea which should deter me from going this route?

Thanks,
    jada

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Jada,

That all sounds a bit complicated. Have you considered telling the NZ High Commission that you need your passport back a.s.a.p. in order to travel to another country? It might just focus them long enough to expediate your work visa and release your passport. It would be easier for them to do that than return your passport now and then have to ask for it back again to put your visa in. Just a thought as it sounds like they've had your application under way plenty long enough already .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

jada is offline Junior Member

Thanks, I have considered telling them I need my passport back but without lying to them...I'm not very good at that, nor do I want to represent myself falsely in any way to the authorities of a country that I am trying to immigrate too. Unfortunately, I don't know why it's taking so long, nor will they reply to tell me. I am stuck in a dark limbo between my Canadian and New Zealand lives. I considered lodging a complaint but I didn't figure that that would help my circumstances at all in any way.

They have asked for further information along the way which they say can lengthen the wait time but it's getting a bit rediculous.

Mother bear, are you a representative of INZ, the administrator of this site or simply a keen poster who wants to help and has knowledge to provide? I have seen many posts from you.

Thanks, jada

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jada View Post
    Thanks, I have considered telling them I need my passport back but without lying to them...I'm not very good at that, nor do I want to represent myself falsely in any way to the authorities of a country that I am trying to immigrate too.
    I wasn't implying you should lie to them. You do need your passport back if, as you say, you want to fly to NZ in the near future. I would agree that it's really not a good idea to lie to INZ.

Quote Originally Posted by jada View Post
    Mother bear, are you a representative of INZ, the administrator of this site or simply a keen poster who wants to help and has knowledge to provide? I have seen many posts from you.
    I have no connections to INZ, but have a strong family link to the creator of this site and have been 'helping out' for the last 5 or 6 years. This gives me the opportunity to point out that I am not a licensed immigration adviser and, as such, can only make suggestions, offer links to information or speak from personal experience. I am not allowed to give advice outright although it is often very difficult to draw the line between offering advice and just helping out. People often ask more of me than I am permitted to give. This is why it is so important for people who have personal experience of the various immigration processes to come forward to help others in a similar position. They are in a much better position to clarify issues than I am, but I guess some people were frightened off when the new ruling came into force. We do have an onboard licenced immigration consultancy for those who need more in-depth help and the link to NZ Shores can be found on the forum menu page at bottom left.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.