Thread: Please help - relationship visa

Traveller is offline Junior Member

Default Please help - relationship visa

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help.

My partner is from Ireland. She moved in to a house I owned last November, we started a relationship in December and moved in to the same room in March. She stopped paying rent at the same time. I am 27, she is 24.

We currently have a application in for a year visa based on our relationship.... But is terrified she won't get it. Back up options for her based on her visa ending in nov is for us both to go to oz, while we appeal.

We have submitted the following evidence - 6 letters from friends, family and flatmates. Joint bills. Financial letter (how our finances work), photos (7), and a joint wedding invite.

I have a few questions to settle our mind:
    - what are our chances?
    - how Long does this all take
    - how can she work when her visa stops, and she waits (I can support her if need be)

We did it ourselves as she is broke... And I couldn't afford the $2k for the advisor so it's pretty stressful!

Leon

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Is there any particular reason why your partner is concerned she may not be granted a permit under partnership? Is she on a visitor permit at the moment? If the permit expires in November and she has another application pending a decision by INZ, she could try applying for an extension of her visitor permit. If her application for her partnership permit is refused, a trip to Oz may buy her some extra time but it really would depend on why she was refused as to whether any appeal would be successful.

Once her visa expires she wouldn't be able to work. If she is on a visitor permit, she shouldn't be working anyway and if she on on another visa type e.g. a Working Holiday Visa, again she wouldn't be able to work without a valid work permit in place. If she is currently on the WHV, it may be that she could apply for a visitor permit once her WHV has expired if she needs more time, but she woudn't be able to work.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

No real grounds as to why she will miss out. More so a concern that she wants to stay here with me and not leave. We provided a bit of evidence... But she's heard horror stories, not related to the partnership visa but people staying a second year and getting declined etc.

She is on a whv at the mo - would she need to stop work once the relationship visa is considered? Do you know if the partnership visa usually takes a long time? Are they strict on 1 year extensions - we thought we'd apply for this, then get residence under way - straight away.

Thanks for your help mother bear, you give a lot to the wider community.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    She is on a whv at the mo - would she need to stop work once the relationship visa is considered?
    If she is still covered by her WHV I would think she could continue to work while her partnership visa is being processed. If she is working, she must, at all times, be covered by a valid visa that permits her to work.

It would depend on which branch of INZ the application is being processed as to how long it would take. Timings vary and one branch can be busier than another. It might be best to check with the particular branch about how their timings are running at the moment. You could also ask what their stance is on granting an extension of the WHV (although I don't think this is normally available to those outside of the UK), otherwise maybe query the possibility of changing to a visitor permit or a temporary work permit (these are normally granted to people in skilled positions with job offers). I wouldn't like to say if INZ would come up with a useful suggestion considering that she will have another visa application in the pipeline. If they aren't too busy, they may even hurry up the partnership applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Thanks for your help mother bear, you give a lot to the wider community.
    Thanks, Traveller.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Hi the last work permit under partnership my partner got took 3 weeks
    but I called them after 3 weeks as had not heard anything the next day they called and asked what is she doing now and then said ok no problem its all done
    So I guess it depends on the branch and how busy they are

Hi all,

Well the update - we submitted our application in mid-October and have been assigned to a case manager today. Which brings up another bout of questions:

- Normally, when do you get passed to a case manager? Are we ahead of schedule - or still on track for a 42-60 working day turn around?
    - How long does the case manager usually take? Is it a matter of days now - or weeks? Assuming everything is fine?
    - What's the process with the case manager?

It's been a very stressful situation - she's off work from next week due to her visa ending (and likely to turn down a new job cause of it) but end of the day, it's all relatively small stuff for a new visa!

Thanks again for everyone's help… it's appreciated and helped 'smooth' the visa nerves a heap.