Thread: assurances and conditions for potential WTR employers

hiero is offline Junior Member

Default assurances and conditions for potential WTR employers

I was wondering if anyone could assist us with the following:

I applied for residency under the Skilled Migrant category. My skill (Film Animator) is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List. Our application got processed fairly swiftly: 6 months from EOI to final interview (including 3 months delay on 1 piece of paperwork).

The interview was back in June, and we were hoping for a swift verdict, but we are still waiting to hear back from immigration. Our guess is that our case is not high priority now as I did not apply with a job offer. We also have the feeling that the most probable outcome is a Work-to-Residency visa.

To speed things up (potentially), I would like to provide immigration with proof of a job offer. As I have many colleagues in the NZ film industry - many of them with small businesses serving that same industry - the easiest way for me to get a job offer in the right industry, is for one of these people to commit to hire me for 24 months at a salary > 55000$/y. Correct me if I'm wrong.

These people are willing to hire me so I can do filmwork for their companies, but they (and I) need some assurances.

So here are my questions for you:

1. What conditions apply to the job? How strictly does it need to adhere to my skills listed in the application?

2. What conditions apply to the type of company that hires me? (From what I read, no conditions in case of a Long Term Skill Shortage job.)

3. What kind of extra scrutiny are those small companies under in such a case? How much extra 'hassle' is it for them?

4. How does immigration monitor and check my employment status (what proof is needed)?

5. In the case of a Work-to-Residency visa, how long do I have to stay employed before it is converted to a full residency visa? (The word seems to be that immigration needs proof for 3 months of employment).

Thanks in advance for your help!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I believe, if the job skill is on the LTSSL and the offer is as close as it can be to this, there shouldn't be too much hassle. With a job offer that isn't on the skills list, then the employer must first provide evidence that a kiwi can't be found to do the job or they must have prior permission to employ overseas staff (accredited employer). I really wouldn't like to say if INZ would monitor someone who was in a job if they were happy at the outset that the job offer complied with their requirements. I'm sure you have to work at the job for a minimum of 3 months, although the actual work permit you will be issued with will be for 9 months. This allows extra time for looking for work. The blurb below doesn't really spell this out fully.

A work to residence visa or permit

If you have been offered a work to residence visa or permit instead of a residence visa or permit, there are certain things you have to do.

* Within three months of the offer, you must return your application form for the work to residence visa or permit.
    * During the visa or permit application, you must show us that you are able to support yourself and your family for at least the first three months in New Zealand. This means NZ$1000 per person for each month, or NZ$400 per person each month if your accommodation has been paid for.
    * You will also have to show that you have the money available to purchase tickets to your home country for you and your family should you have to leave New Zealand.

If you are out of New Zealand, you will get a work to residence visa which will allow you to travel to New Zealand within three months. On arrival, or if you are already in New Zealand, you will be granted a nine-month work permit.

Note: If you made your application under the Skilled Migrant Category before 10 April 2007, your work to residence visa or permit will be valid for six months.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hiero is offline Junior Member

thank you MotherBear!