Thread: Started as an internet relationship, now we want to be together..

pyrokinetic is offline Junior Member

Default Started as an internet relationship, now we want to be together..

Hi there,

I'll outline my problem that me and my fiance are currently facing, and I'm 99% sure I'm probably not the first person to have come across this situation either. Me and my fiance met 4 years ago on an internet 'dating' site and have been together ever since, I have visited her for 2 weeks in the U.S (where she currently resides) and she's also visited me here in NZ for 2 weeks also. We want to be together here in NZ and we seem to be getting tripped up at every turn. Neither of us want to break any immigration laws but it seems in our case it's just about impossible for us to be together in real life. Here is what we want to do.....I would like her to come here so we can get married and then live together, that's it....nothing more, nothing less....what is the best and LEGAL way to do this? The main stumbling block we seem to always hit is the 'genuine/stable relationship requirement' of 12 months. How can we achieve this? On a visitor's visa she can enter for a maximum of only 9 months and then has to return home, thus making us 3 months short of the 12 months (or only two months if you count the previous 4 weeks we've already spent together) so then I'd have to go there or she'd have to come back here for a further two months. Now at the moment her employment isn't very adequate and is only getting a few days here and there whereas mine is more stable, but even as stable as my work is, I HIGHLY doubt my employer would let me disappear to another country for 2-3 months, and even if my/our employers would let us do it, we'd never be able to afford it.......because that's one trip for her to come here for her initial 9 months, then another trip for either me or her for a further 2-3 months, and then finally her to come BACK so we can apply under the partnership programme. What can I do!? It's so damn infuriating :( I understand the need for immigration to be convinced that we really are a couple and I know that's because the 'residence through marriage' system has been so widely abused, but what honestly can we do? I've seen something mentioned about "Work permit under partnership" but even that has the requirement of being in a 'genuine, stable relationship' too and having lived together......How can we live together for the required time if we can't find a visa that will LET us do that!? I'm so stressed about this, I really am.....I've called NZ immigration three times, first time I called had my hopes pushed way up, then I had a couple of minor queries about the 'visitor visa' application form so called back and couldn't get through, and the third call I made shot down EVERYTHING that was said in the first call. There's also inconsistency on the NZ immigration website too, I just..............I don't know what to do and I'd really appreciate some help, neither of us want to break any laws but we DO want to be together using whatever way necessary.

till is offline Senior Member

I can imagine the following strategy:
    1. Visitor's visa, initially 3 months, extend by another 3.
    2. In those 6 months, collect as much evidence of your relationship being 'genuine and stable' as possible (as this is the tricky part of the following application), e.g. moving in together, opening shared bank account, joint ownership of a car perhaps, joint utility bills, insurance policies, etc. See INZ Operations Manual Section F2.20.
    3. Apply for Work permit under partnership, should be granted for a year, if INZ are satisfied by your evidence. See INZ Opsmanual WF2.1. Possibly need to extend Visitor's permit.
    4. Residence permit after 12 months of living together, or further work permit.
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

Quote Originally Posted by till View Post
    I can imagine the following strategy:
    1. Visitor's visa, initially 3 months, extend by another 3.
    2. In those 6 months, collect as much evidence of your relationship being 'genuine and stable' as possible (as this is the tricky part of the following application), e.g. moving in together, opening shared bank account, joint ownership of a car perhaps, joint utility bills, insurance policies, etc. See INZ Operations Manual Section F2.20.
    3. Apply for Work permit under partnership, should be granted for a year, if INZ are satisfied by your evidence. See INZ Opsmanual WF2.1. Possibly need to extend Visitor's permit.
    4. Residence permit after 12 months of living together, or further work permit.
    Thanks for the help there, I really appreciate it.

Now you say that I should extend the visitor's visa by 3 months, I was told the visitor's visa can be for a stay of a maximum of 9 months, or is that not the case?

Also one question, initially she'd be coming here on a return ticket, if we were to keep going for the work permit under partnership, then residence permit after 12 months in a stable relationship, are we able to cancel the 'return' part of the ticket, or can the date be changed? that's where I'm having issues at the moment.

till is offline Senior Member

I was told the visitor's visa can be for a stay of a maximum of 9 months
    True. Actually she could apply for 6 or 9 months at once.
    I was thinking she possibly doesn't need a visa for the first 3 months (US=visa free country), and depending on the progress of your "evidence gathering" (perhaps you have telephone bills that show you've been making regular phone contact), you could start the work permit application process already towards the end of the first 3 months.
    are we able to cancel the 'return' part of the ticket, or can the date be changed?
    Depends on the airline and ticket.
    When I came over, I had booked two one-way flights with a low-cost airline, the 'return' part of which was in a higher, fully refundable booking class (i.e. Jetstar Jetflex).
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

Quote Originally Posted by till View Post
    True. Actually she could apply for 6 or 9 months at once.
    I was thinking she possibly doesn't need a visa for the first 3 months (US=visa free country), and depending on the progress of your "evidence gathering" (perhaps you have telephone bills that show you've been making regular phone contact), you could start the work permit application process already towards the end of the first 3 months.

Depends on the airline and ticket.
    When I came over, I had booked two one-way flights with a low-cost airline, the 'return' part of which was in a higher, fully refundable booking class (i.e. Jetstar Jetflex).
    Oooh, I hadn't even thought about the visa waiver side of things, thank you!!

The one way ticket thing is a smart move as well, I like that :)

Now, from memory....let's see if I'm correct.....the "work under partnership" visa/permit doesn't require us to have been living together for 12 months, right? I'm sure on the Immigration website it says something like.....let me look it up..

"If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival"

Is that correct? Let me explain a bit more, she comes over here on a visitor's visa for a maximum of 9 months....(or 12 if we include the visa waiver programme)...after two or three months we then apply for a work permit under partnership with supporting documents of evidence of us being a couple, shared expenses, bills, etc....then she gets granted a 12 month work permit here......and from there once we reach the 12 months together required amount we can apply for residency under partnership for her, is that correct?

Hope that all made sense.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

This is a situation that arises on a very regular basis on this forum. You've obviously already read through this as you have quoted from it.

Assuming you are either a NZ citizen or a PR holder, what it implies is that, providing you and your partner are living together at the time her application for a work permit is made, that's OK. So, coming in on a visit visa and then submitting an application under this category should, hopefully, see a happy outcome. I don't think her job type comes into the matter.

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made.

AND

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.