Thread: Work permit on back of SMC application and a few questions

Kihan2007 is offline Junior Member

Default Work permit on back of SMC application and a few questions

Hello,

Here's our situation and we are desperately looking for some advice-
    Just got Work Permit for 9 months on back of Skilled Migrant Resident application.

1. I am being offered a full time employment in Auckland but work entails I live in Sydney for 6 months. (expanding stores in OZ)
    The employer is willing to provide a contract which mean I'll have salary in NZ bank account, Pay NZ taxes etc.
    Can I apply for PR once I accept the job (& later on will suplly proof that I'been in job for 6 months)

Or Is Physical stay an absolute must for PR ?

2. If I can do the above, Can I also do a part-time second job whilst in Sydney or does Immigration NZ restrict doing a second job in a different country ?

3. Can I just start a business or become a partner in a NZ firm (Director or managing partner etc. with NZ wages, taxes and all) and convert the work visa into PR..I have a good opportunity to do this but without PR this would be a big risk

The move from OZ to NZ is a big one (and one i am keen to do)..Just that the Work Visa gives me anxiety and the PR would help me move across the pond quickly.

Any help is very appreciated

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It might be worth speaking to INZ directly to ask their advice on this. To grant you PR, they need to see that you have a job offer, work in it for a specific time and show that you have settled well in NZ. You have a job offer in Auckland, which is a good start. It is the fact that you will need to work in Oz for (I assume) the first 6 months that might cause a problem. If you will return to continue your work in Auckland after the 6 months in Oz, it might go in your favour, whereas, if you are going to stay in Oz all the time, it would not be a good thing. When INZ understand the situation, perhaps they will relax their requirements because a) you have a job offer and b) you will, eventually, return to work in NZ which is what they want.

To start your own business requires a different type of visa e.g. Long Term Business Visa unless you already have PR.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Kihan2007 is offline Junior Member

Thanks Mother Bear

Stuck in OZ for only 6 more months...then defi. in NZ.

I will try and take this with INZ as suggested..although sometimes their answers are weird/unclear.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kihan2007 View Post
    ..although sometimes their answers are weird/unclear.
    Yes, unfortunately, I would agree with this.

I would hope you can sort something out with INZ if your main job is based in Auckland and you will only be in Oz for 6 months.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.