Thread: Work permit under Partnership

claire30 is offline Junior Member

Default Work permit under Partnership

Hi,

I am trying to find out more about a work permit via the partnership category.

I am on a contract until Feb 2011 and hoping to apply for a new work permit after that as it's hard to tell what will happen jobwise. I have been in a relationship with my kiwi boyfriend for nearly a year now and he has just asked me to live with him so I will move in next month.

In order to get a permit, you have to be living together. I have had a look on the NZ Immigration website and it says that:

"If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:
    - you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    - you apply for residence as a partner."

So, if for example, after living together for 3 months, can I apply for a work permit or does it have to be close to 12 months? If so, what kind of evidence would I need to prove?

Cheers,
    Claire

hoping2win is offline Junior Member

Default work permit

Hi Claire, I think he will have to fill out the sponsorship forms guaranteeing to provide you with accomodation and keep. Also return fare if needed.

You will need to lodge application for residence asap as it takes a while, they will issue permits to last you until you get residency. Make sure you keep ALL documentation such as letters and envelopes, photos of you together etc to prove a stable relationship. Here is an exerpt from their bible,

"You and your partner must provide evidence that you are living together in a genuine and stable relationship, and evidence of the duration of your relationship. This may include photocopies of:

* a marriage certificate
    * a civil union certificate
    * evidence of shared accommodation (ownership or tenancy documents, for example)
    * documents indicating public recognition of your relationship
    * evidence of financial interdependence, such as joint bank accounts, joint assets, joint liabilities (loans, credit to purchase real estate, cars, major home appliances, for example), and/or joint utilities accounts
    * evidence of time spent together.

You will also need to supply:

* a completed Form for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF
    * evidence that your partner intends to be in New Zealand for the same period of time you have applied for in this application.

The other evidence you must supply depends on your partner's immigration status.

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must supply evidence that your partner is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident."

I think you will also need to get a police clearance from your home country, this can be a lengthy process too.

good luck, if you cruise this forum you will find heaps of good advice and support.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by claire30 View Post
    So, if for example, after living together for 3 months, can I apply for a work permit or does it have to be close to 12 months? If so, what kind of evidence would I need to prove?
    Going by this statement from here ....

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made.

....I get the impression that you only need to be living with him when you submit your application. However, it's a bit ambiguous and could be read as 'At the time you submit your application, you need to prove you have been living together'. I always took it that it was the first meaning, but now I've put doubt in my own mind although that statement doesn't mention 'for 12 months or more' so I would hope it's OK.

Proving a relationship

Evidence about whether the partnership is genuine and stable* may include but is not limited to, original or certified copies of documents and any other information such as:

a marriage certificate for the parties;
    a civil union certificate for the parties;
    birth certificates of any children of the parties;
    evidence of communication between the parties;
    photographs of the parties together;
    documents indicating public recognition of the partnership;
    evidence of the parties being committed to each other both emotionally and exclusively such as evidence of:
    joint decision making and plans together
    sharing of parental obligations
    sharing of household activities
    sharing of companionship/spare time
    sharing of leisure and social activities
    presentation by the parties to outsiders as a couple.
    evidence of being financially interdependent such as evidence of
    shared income
    joint bank accounts operated reasonably frequently over a reasonable time
    joint assets
    joint liabilities such as loans or credit to purchase real estate, cars, major home appliances
    joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, water, telephone)
    mutually agreed financial arrangements.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Whilst looking for something else, I came across this to confirm that it doesn't have to be 12 months that you need to be living together.

The overseas partner may also apply for a Partnership work permit/visa, if
    the couple has not lived together for 12 months yet (as is required for residence) and wants to meet that requirement through living together in NZ; or
    the residence is in process, but the couple wants to travel to/work in NZ before residence application is finalised.

From here.
    Mother Bear

claire30 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah we have got some photos, travel documentation, correspondence letters to us and we have a lot of friends who I am sure they will do support letters for us. Once I move in with him, I can include my name on his bills and start collating evidence.

I have seen the form that my partner would need to fill in and it seems pretty straightforward.

Any ideas how long would it take to process? How long would I be granted a permit for? At the moment, my Working Holiday permit ends on 6th Feb 2011 so would like to cover the new permit after that date.

Last month, I submitted my ITA application for permanent residency as I'm in current employment in NZ but that could take ages as I have a medical condition. I'm supposed to have a job after Feb 2011 so I can claim the points but at the moment it's early days. So thought I would apply the work permit under partnership to carry on working after Feb without any hold ups and until I get my residency.

Cheers,
    Claire

kiwiguy is offline Member

My partners one took three weeks and another person I know theirs took 1 week and someone else 6 weeks
    So I think it depends on the branch as to how busy they are and also if they ask for additional information

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by claire30 View Post
    How long would I be granted a permit for?
    If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa or permit that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear