Thread: Please help - urgent work permit advice needed!!!

Irishgal is offline Junior Member

Default Please help - urgent work permit advice needed!!!

Hi there,
    I was wondering could someone on here please offer some advice. I am an Irish girl currently on a New Zealand work permit. I have been working in the same company for 18 months, in journalism.
    I had saved up enough annual leave so I can go back to Ireland for one month in August for a family wedding (I am in Ireland now for this). The thing is I really really want to leave my job in New Zealand as I absolutely hate it. I actually went for another job two months ago and got it, the only thing was that if I took it I would not have been able to go to Ireland in August for my sister wedding, which she would never forgive me for! So I turned down the job offer.

I am thinking of just ringing up and quitting my job from Ireland (giving two weeks notice) spending a little more time at home, and then flying back and trying to get another job, then reapplying for another work permit. I'm pretty confident I would get another job soon enough as I have quite a good CV. If I was on a working holiday visa I could do this, but I already used mine the first year I was in New Zealand.

I really like New Zealand and have a Kiwi boyfriend, just the thoughts of going back to my job there in three weeks makes my feel sick in my stomach. I was enjoying my job until six months ago when a new manager took over and have been trying to leave since. I would just quit, the only thing is that my work permit is tied to my job.

Has anyone else done this? Been on a work permit and quit a job without anything else lined up? Is it very risky? Any advice on what do would be appreciated,
    Thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Irishgal, welcome.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your job. If you want to find a new job you need to look at this.

If you have been in your relationship for a long time, have you thought about getting a new work permit through that route? You could then look around for another job at your leisure although doing it this way might take more time.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa or permit that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Irishgal is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your advice.

I have only been with my boyfriend two months, but we were friends for about 18 months before that. We don't live in the same house.
    You have to live together to apply for a partnership visa don't you?

I was wondering what does it mean on the work permit conditions when it says you must work for an 'accredited' employer. How do I know if an employer is accredited? Are there a list of employers in certain cities I can find?

Do you think it would be very unwise to just quit my job, from here in Ireland, and then go back to New Zealand and try and get another job and thus another work permit when I am back? I have a lot of funds saved so I would be okay to live for a couple of months. I really really do not want to go back to that job. I wish I just gave me four weeks notice before I came home, although once again was worried about work permit situation. It was really stressing me out and getting me down, but my partner advised me not to quit before I go home as he was worried that I would not be able to go back to NZ and stay there then.

Also, is it possible to just do temping/ admin work on a work permit? I am quiet confident that I could get office temping work when I go back to NZ, as that is what I first did when I was on my working holiday visa and I really enjoyed it. Once again, I am not sure if this is allowed on a work permit. As in temping work you often change work place from month to month.
    Thank you for your advice.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You need to be living together at the time you apply for the partnership work visa. If you read this it says....

The overseas partner may also apply for a Partnership work permit/visa, if
    the couple has not lived together for 12 months yet (as is required for residence) and wants to meet that requirement through living together in NZ; or
    the residence is in process, but the couple wants to travel to/work in NZ before residence application is finalised.

This is the list of Accredited Employers.

If you quit your job in NZ, thereby invalidating your WP, you could always re-enter NZ on a visit visa, look for another job and then apply for a new WP with the new company. It just gets a bit messy because you will presumably have to go through your month's notice and there would be the matter of cancelling the current WP in your passport. I believe you would need a permanent job offer to apply for a WP rather than taking on temp. work, unless you are covered by another visa type, which I guess you aren't.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.