Thread: work permit through partnership

toscane is offline Junior Member

Post work permit through partnership

Hi,
    I'm a PhD student in New Zealand and I'm applying for a work permit through partnership as I'll have to wait at least 3 months between handing in my thesis and my oral defense and I would like to be able to work during that period. I've been with my patner for 20 months however we started living together 10 months ago. Is it enough to apply for a work permit through partnership? I've received a letter stating that I need to prove that I'm in a genuine relationship and I have a week to do so.
    We don't have a joint bank account as we're waiting for me to have a steady income, I moved in to his place and everything is under his name, my parents are living at the other side of the world and a letter from them will take ages. I'm planning to ask my colleagues at uni. What type of information should they put in their letter?
    Thanks in advance for your help

Default hello:)

Yes 10 months are enough, you can apply for a one year work permit under partnership.
    your uni collegues can write letters which state that they know you as a genuine couple and describe how they observe your relationship and also that they strongly support you and believe you are planning a future together.
    what about his family? letters from family is really important, why do you have only 1 week time? can your family also write an email instead a letter? that s what my parents did in simple english (as it was not their first language) and I had it within 2 days:)
    also anything like flight tickets of trips you did or you will do, invitations you received together, just anything which showes proof of your realtionship, maybe a confirmation from your landlord that you have been living there since 10 months.
    Also state your own view in the application and tell them what you are planning for the future together here in NZ.

I hope that info helps,
    Anita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

toscane is offline Junior Member

Thanks Anita for your reply. My father sent me a letter through email and my partner's family is sending one although it won't make it in time for the deadline. I'll have to ask the immigration officer if my deadline can be extended as I just had 5 working days to get everything together...