Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help sponsorship etc.

wainy is offline Junior Member

Default help sponsorship etc.

hi all, I hope somene may be able to help me.
    I have moved to southland from the uk on a work visa after being offered a job from the skills shortage list, surveyor, anyways I have come over but want my girlfriend to come over and join me, I didn't include her on my initial application. I came over first to see if we we like to stay and didn't want her to be turned away at the airport being on a holiday visa so she has stayed back in the uk.
    we are both desperate for her to come over but aren't sure of the best option, am i able to sponsor her for the duration of my stay which at the moment is till dec 2011 or do I have any other options to get her over here, she has a qualification in caring for autistic children, she is also polish so her english isn't great too, we spoke to someone here a couple of times who is interested in giving her a job but we haven't heard anything since it may well have expired now, the problem i have is that we have only been together 12 months and lived together for 10 of those but dont have much in the way of evidence to prove we were together can we use testimonials for family and friends and pictures, we are desperate to be together can anyone help I am paid 55k and can easily afford the $400 a month needed to be available for her as stated in the requirements, all help will be greatly appreciated

qdawg86 is offline Junior Member

Default Hi Wainy

Sadly, You can't sponsor her to come over. Only permanent residents and citizens of New Zealand can sponsor their partners for an NZ visa or permit.

She could apply for a 12 month working holiday visa. Does she qualify for this ? This is the most basic kind of visa and its the quickest/easiest to get.

unfortunately I dont think she does qualify, she is a Polish national and although she is allowed in for 3 months without a visa there is no working holiday agreement with Poland, if I were to apply for residency when could I do that and how long would that take and then how long till I could sponsor her, I am tempted to get her out here on a holiday visa but then am at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

till is offline Senior Member

Hi Wainy and Qdawg86,

She could apply for a 12 month working holiday visa.
    For Poles, Working Holiday isn't an option until February next year (unless she's a British citizen).

Only permanent residents and citizens of New Zealand can sponsor their partners for an NZ visa or permit.
    There seems to be a slight difference between sponsoring (see definition) and supporting an application. The above only applies to sponsorship.
    However, in the INZ Operations Manual, E4.5.b.iii, you'll find, that partners of work visa/permit holders may get a visa, if their partner (you) supports the application.

You'd need to submit the Form for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry
    applications (INZ 1146)

According to E4.5.a, she could apply for a Visitor's, Student or Work Visa.

To meet E4.5.b.i, "they are living together with their partner in a genuine and stable partnership", she would need to come over (as a normal Visitor, without a visa, see E2.1.5.c) and bring as much evidence as possible.

HTH
    Till
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

thanks till,

am I correct in assuming that all I would need to do is to submit the INZ 1146 form, or would she also need to apply for anything, I am worried that if she came over just as a holidymaker she may get stopped at the airport and sent back, although she will have enough money in her account and will live with me.
    we will explore the polish working agreement as of february but don't want to wait that long as we've not been apart more than a week since we met.
    would I be correct in assuming she could come over and we apply via INZ 1146 and she could stay for the duration of my visa which will expire in dec 2011.
    thanks

till is offline Senior Member

am I correct in assuming that all I would need to do is to submit the INZ 1146 form, or would she also need to apply for anything,
    All you would need to do is sign the statutory declaration on the form in presence of, for example, a Justice of the Peace (when we did this, we just went to the police station).
    She would need to apply for her actual permit and include your support form, after she's come here without the need for a visa. She won't get sent back, if she wants to visit her partner (see 'lawful purpose for visitors' V2.1.1.a).

Would I be correct in assuming she could come over and we apply via INZ 1146 and she could stay for the duration of my visa which will expire in dec 2011.
    Correct, except
    1. Visitor's permits are normally limited to 12 months (see E3.5.15.a.i),
    2. she might get only 12 months anyway, unless you can prove at least a 12 month partnership (see V3.15.1/WF2.1.b, actually for residents' partners, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent section for work permit holders' partners),
    3. for more than 12 months she needs full medical certificates, which could also be used for further applications, e.g. residence (see E6.1.10.a).
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

thanks again Till,

I have just found this on the immigraton NZ website, your advice has helped me to find this:

"Your partner holds a New Zealand work permit"
    If your partner holds a work permit for more than six months we may grant you a work permit for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. Your partner must:

be eligible to sponsor you
    meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

we've been together for a year now, so if she came over it would extend the time and we should be able to take this route, I'll get straight onto filling in the INZ 1146 form, will keep you all posted on my progress, am going to contact immigration as well, just to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

Thanks

kulit is offline Junior Member

Default sponsorship form...

we're in the same boat...i'm on the process as well to lodge my visa anytime this week... however, was so confused on what form to be fill up by my partner who's in NZ...for the visa application center here in my country said, to fill up the form 1025 as well, which is sponsorship for visiting new zealand... i would like to asked if it's necessary to fill up the form 1025 apart from 1146?

moreover, when you said, you didn't include your gf in the initial application? did you mean to say when you apply for the work visa you just have a "SINGLE" status? will that not harm your work permit for you didn't include her in your application?

i'm really so confused right now... hope anybody can help me.

having spoken on immigration on friday I didn't seem to get much help from them, they say she needs to apply for a work permit under partnership, I'm worried that as she is in the uk and I'm here they dont see us as being together, I asked immigration if it would be better if she came over intially on holiday and we applied but they didn't like the sound of that, but if she needs to be living with m here then surely she has to, I am sending the INZ 1146 off tomorrow but am really worried that she will be rejected and on the other hand if she came all the way over then also got rejected it doesnt bear thinking about. Immigration have said the only option thus far is for me to submit INZ 1146 and for her to submit her work permit application, I was a bit concerned that the person I was talking to at immigration seemed very inexperienced and seemed to get a few things wrong which are blatantly on their website

also a quick one I forgot to ask, how long should her application take to be approved, because if we go down the route of her coming over before I wouldn't want her to then overstay her visiting visa if she came on that as I assume immigration could use that to stop us, incidentally I will have proof of us living together in the uk pictures and letters from family confirming our relationship, it all seems a bit of a minefield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast