Thread: Which visa to apply for?

jazza is offline Junior Member

Default Which visa to apply for?

Hello, I am an NZ citizen living with my partner in London, and we are intending to come back to NZ for a couple of years (and then return to the UK).

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on which visa would be the best. My partner is English and we have lived together for a number of years, so proving cohabitation won't be a problem.
    She is a GP, so one step we also need to undertake is to get her registered with the NZ Medical Council.
    We probably won't try and have a job organised for her to start with, because we will have 3 young children, and she will only want to work part time.

It appears that I can apply via the family stream for either a work visa which gives the right to work and eventually become a resident, but this requires quite a lot of form filling and medical checks etc, which I would rather avoid if at all possible.
    Alternatively I could apply for a temporary work visa, which appears to have fewer requirements and should still enable her to work in NZ (albeit for only up to 2 years).

Could anyone further enlight me as to whether there are any particular pros and cons of either approach?
    Also, what would be the impact on leaving the country e.g. to go on holiday or whatever?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jazza View Post
    It appears that I can apply via the family stream for either a work visa which gives the right to work and eventually become a resident, but this requires quite a lot of form filling and medical checks etc, which I would rather avoid if at all possible.
    Yes, this is the hallmark of applying for visas for NZ - a lot of form filling, medicals etc. . A temporary work permit should be simpler because of its nature but if your partner wants to stay in NZ for more than a year she would still need a full medical. As a GP she could apply for a work visa through her own job skills but she would need a job offer to qualify or, alternatively you could sponsor her although it appears she may need to go on to apply for residency within 12 months of arriving in NZ. However, in the second bit below, about not having been in the relationship for 12 months, it implies she could get a work visa for 12 months and if she wants to stay for longer in NZ, she could apply for further permits up to 2 years if she can prove she is still in a genuine and stable relationship.

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

* be eligible to sponsor you for residence under our Partnership policy within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa or permit that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default PR under partnership is the cheapest and fastest...

Hi,

If you want to stay up to 5 years I think it is the best thing to apply for work permit and PR under partnership at the same time. PR under partnership is faster and cheaper at this point because under the skilled migrant she would have to be already registered with the Medical Council and more things to fill in and to be done.

I think to apply for PR is really necessary if you want to stay for a couple of years. I know your wife is a GP but still she would have to pay a lot if getting sick and needing medical help on a temporay work visa.

The temp. work visa does not take too long to be approved (2 month), and PR maybe up to 8 months?!

Cheers, ANita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010