Thread: Hi I need help!!!

alihhd6 is offline Junior Member

Question Hi I need help!!!

My parents got a visiting visa which is valid until September 27th, but they planned to visit from august to December. If they come in august, how long will they get the permit for?? will that be 27th Sept?? i was thinking of booking the tickets from August to december?? I am confused please help??

Thanks in advance!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Which country are they from? I would guess, from what you say, that the validity date is when they must use the visa by, not the date they must leave NZ. They must enter NZ before 27th September and, if they are from the UK, they can stay for up to 6 months. If they are from another country they might only be able to stay for up to 3 months although it's usually possible to apply for an extension.

Visitors to NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks for responding!! they are coming from india.....so do you mean if they arrive in NZ on 20th august they will be granted with 3 months permit from that date, despite the visa validity??

So is it ok if i book the tickets from august 20th to Dec 20th?
    Last edited by alihhd6; 27-05-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Blog Entries

They aren't from a visa free country where it states UK visitors can stay up to 6 months and others can stay up to 3 months. This is the Visitor Visa/Permit Guide but it doesn't state clearly how long people from non-visa free countries can stay in NZ. Does it tell your parents on their visa how long they can stay?
    Mother Bear

at the bottom of the visa they mentioned that " You can now enter NZ and on application can get permit for 3 months"

Blog Entries

I would think they could apply for an extension to their permit for up to 9 months. It talks a lot about visa-free countries but doesn't come out and say about non-visa-free countries.

How long can I stay?

The maximum stay under a visitor visa is nine months. As visa-free conditions only last for three months (or six if you are from the United Kingdom), you will need a visa for any longer stay.

We usually only allow visitors to stay for nine months in an 18-month period. To work this out, we look at the last day that you intend to be in New Zealand (eg 1 July 2009), and count back 18 months from there (eg 1 January 2008). When you apply for a visa or permit in one of our branches, we make sure that in that 18-month period (eg 1 January 2008 1 July 2009) you will not be spending more than nine months in New Zealand.
    Mother Bear

:( anyways thanks for your help motherbear...