Thread: Job shadowing for experience while visiting family

vgrapentin is offline Junior Member

Default Job shadowing for experience while visiting family

I have a brother who has just finished studying an automotive course in Australia. He's keen to come to NZ on working holiday next year. Was wondering if he visited us here in NZ now for 3 months, is it okay for him to 'job shadow' at a workshop part-time with no pay during the times that we are working during the week? (I work part-time, 3 days a week). I am afraid he will be bored at home, and thought it might be good for him to see what the work environment is like in NZ before coming out next year on working holiday. Can someone please advise whether this is legal to do as a visitor?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There is a very fine line between working for free and working for gain and INZ are pretty hot on this topic. If your brother is seen to be receiving ANY kind of reward for his efforts, it could mean trouble. That even includes things like lodging and food etc. so he would need to be very careful.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

vgrapentin is offline Junior Member

Thanks Mother Bear. That is why I wanted ppl's opinion as I don't want him to be doing anyting illegal which would jeopardise his chances of getting a real work permit in the future when he does decide to stay. Although, he would be staying with us during his holiday and we would of course provide him with food etc., so it really is mainly for him to have something to occupy his time during the 3 half days when I am working so he doesn't have to be sitting at home waiting for us to get back, and maybe to check out other areas of automotive that he might be interested to take a course on in the future.