Thread: My girfriend is Australian

arry is offline Junior Member

Default My girfriend is Australian

Hi,

I've been studying for a PhD in NZ for three years and living with my Australian girlfriend for that time. I'm going to apply for a NZ partner visa as technically she's a NZ permanent resident. Does anyone know if I can work in Australia with a NZ partner visa? As we will probably move to Australia within the next 5 years and I would rather not have to apply for another partner visa for Australia.

Cheers.

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

My understanding is that you need to be a NZ citizen to be able to automatically work in Australia. To be a NZ citizen you need to be a permanent resident for five years. (Used to be three).

Afraid I don't know what the Australian immigration rules are and whether you can work there will depend on what options they have available.

Perhaps you should look for a movetooz forum?

Jof

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jof View Post
    My understanding is that you need to be a NZ citizen to be able to automatically work in Australia.
    I'll go along with that. At one time, if you were a NZ resident, you could transfer your privileges to Oz but, because so many people abused this, i.e. using NZ residency purely as a stepping stone to get to Oz (because it was quicker), this was stopped. I think Ozzie residents can walk into NZ and work but not the other way round. I guess, if you want to work in Oz, you would need a job offer and then a work visa unless there is a policy in Oz where you can get a work visa through your Oz girlfriend's citizenship Might be worth trawling the Oz immigration website for info.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.