Thread: Getting married while on a work permit?

joni is offline Junior Member

Default Getting married while on a work permit?

Hi everyone, I've been through the archives for the last hour trying to find an answer to this to avoid double posting but I couldn't seem to find anything so I thought I would ask you lovely people : )

OK, my situation is that I am here on a work permit through my job so that's all sorted but I have met a nice man since I got here and we have talked about getting married. What would happen if he were to propose and we just wanted to get married while I was legally allowed to work here anyway?
    The problem is my job is relocating me 2 hours away and we are both miserable over it. Marriage is on the cards in the future so we are looking at all our options. I would like to relocate back to where he lives but I would lose my job if I did. Obviously with the distance thing we can't even avail of teh living together clause. It's frustrating. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you : )

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Joni, welcome.

Maybe you would need to look at changing jobs if you can't continue to work where your partner lives. If you could get another job offer, probably along the same lines as you are doing now, you would need to apply for another work permit if your current employer is named on the one you have now. If the employer isn't named, it may be necessary to apply for a change of the conditions of your permit to allow you to work for someone else.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Joni,

What you can do depends on what you want to do. If you are in a position to give up your job and get a local job in the same field, Immigration can change your work permit to your new employer. If you are unable to get another local job in the same field, you may be eligible for a Work Permit under Partnership, whereby if you have been in a relationship for less than 12 months, you may be granted an open work permit for up to 12 months. You can find out more here: Temporary work requirements

Other than that, you've got a big commute!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi Taffy & Motherbear (waves)

Thanks for your replies. To be honest I didn't think that I could change employers. There is not much scope for what I do in this small town apart from the job I have which is being relocated.
    I've had a look at that partnership visa but (and correct me if I am interpreting this wrong as I usually do!) it says that we need to be living together at the time of the application which will be impossible and it mentions something about the partner having made the request within 12 months but I have been here for 14 months already (although we have only been together for a few months)
    Eek.. my poor brain.
    That's why we thought if in six months time, things are going as amazing as they are now, we'd just get married anyway. : )

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The 12 month thing means your partner must be eligible to sponsor you within 12 months of your application. If its impossible to live together then yes, I'm afraid none of this is any use to you anyway as you need to prove the relationship is genuine and stable which, believe it or not, marriage does not prove! Is there any chance your job makes you eligible under the skilled migrant category?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Yeah, we can't live together as our jobs are keeping us in apart. To be honest, I am hoping he might decide to just bite the bullet and move up with me anyway. I will only be in my trade 5 years next June so I will need to wait until then before I can finalize my migration. At the same time, my family (parents) will ahve been in NZ for 3 years so I can also apply for the last family member visa and by then we will probably be living together so we can do a partner visa. I will ahve my pick next year.... but I will just have to be patient and hope the distance doesn't wear us down.. grr!

Thanks for all your tips. It's been really helpful. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    The 12 month thing means your partner must be eligible to sponsor you within 12 months of your application. If its impossible to live together then yes, I'm afraid none of this is any use to you anyway as you need to prove the relationship is genuine and stable which, believe it or not, marriage does not prove! Is there any chance your job makes you eligible under the skilled migrant category?

loopstar is offline Junior Member

Default Getting married while on a work permit? - some advice

Joni,

There's no real issue with getting married when you're on a work permit. My husband and I got married in January - we're both from the UK. We have permanent residency now but we were on work visas when we starting planning to get married - depending where you are from you may need to get an apostile certificate after getting married - but thats no biggie.
    After getting married though - you will need to change your visa - as being married to a kiwi generally means you get a residency /right to remain permit - but thats where it gets complicated - you will still need to prove that you're in a commited relationship - and prove that your marriage isn't a ploy to get residency. Your best bet would be to get another job closer to where your partner lives and get your work permit changed if needed(which isn't difficult to do - a one day trip to your nearest immigration dept - hubby did it).
    Don't rush into marriage for the sake of immigration though (not that I'm suggesting thats what you're doing)....they're bloody expensive!!!

Hi Loopstar...

Thanks so much. Don't worry i won't be jumping in for that reason but I just thought it might be good to know. Yes, the feedback that I am getting seems to be that it's easy enough to swap work permits so that is good news. I might stop worrying for now! : )

Quote Originally Posted by loopstar View Post
    Joni,

There's no real issue with getting married when you're on a work permit. My husband and I got married in January - we're both from the UK. We have permanent residency now but we were on work visas when we starting planning to get married - depending where you are from you may need to get an apostile certificate after getting married - but thats no biggie.
    After getting married though - you will need to change your visa - as being married to a kiwi generally means you get a residency /right to remain permit - but thats where it gets complicated - you will still need to prove that you're in a commited relationship - and prove that your marriage isn't a ploy to get residency. Your best bet would be to get another job closer to where your partner lives and get your work permit changed if needed(which isn't difficult to do - a one day trip to your nearest immigration dept - hubby did it).
    Don't rush into marriage for the sake of immigration though (not that I'm suggesting thats what you're doing)....they're bloody expensive!!!