Thread: Changing employers?

edytais is offline Junior Member

Default Changing employers?

Hello,
    I read that when you are granted the work permit you have to work for accredited employer. If you change jobs, the new employer has to be accredited and you have to apply for a new work permit.
    I also read that in order to become permanent resident you have to have work permit for 2 years.
    Ok, my question is, the 2 years count from the original employer or do you start counting the 2 years every time you change jobs?
    We are thinking of moving to NZ and prepared to take ANY job that we can get just to get us moved and have income. While in NZ, we would look for that perfect job. Unless we super lucky to get the perfect one right off the bat, I am worried about the whole red tape with work permits. Trying to see how soon we can become permanent residents to get all the medical and school benefits.

thanks a lot in advance for the replies and your time.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Edytais, welcome.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to get into NZ by getting 'any' job offer. For a work permit, it must be skilled and one that a kiwi can't be found to do. If you are looking at getting residency, any job offer should be on one of the skills shortage lists. The accredited employer thing relates to applying for a Work to Residence visa. With work permits and changing employers, this is what INZ says about it, which bears up what you have found.

I don't know if you have had a look through the Immigration NZ website, which could help you decide which is the best route for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

edytais is offline Junior Member

We are on the long term skills shortage and my dh has PhD and few years of experience. He can get lots of points. We got an agency to look at our CVs and Monday we should get a full report. Just at a glance, teh agent says we have lots of point and a good chance of getting a job.

I was just wondering about the 2 years (what counts and what doesn't and how long).
    Seems like if you change jobs every 2 years you might never be a permanent resident (seems unfair).
    I see that you need to have new Work Permit with new employer. Immigration page says that you have to have work permit (Work to REsidency) for 2 years. Does it mean ANY work to residency or A PARTICULAR one. That's the question.

We will not move to NZ without a job waiting for us. However, it might not be the best job, so I know we probably will be changing. While on work permit kids will have to pay even for public school and we cannot get the health benefits (have to pay for private insurance) etc etc. So getting that permanent residency asap would be better than postponing it. So I wondered if we have to put up with not so good job for 2 years.

Thanks for your help though.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Just a note on the kids school from

Ministry of Education - Home
    look for Domestic Student

A person of a class or description of persons required by the Minister, by notice in the Gazette, to be treated as if they are not foreign students:

A foreign student who is the dependent child of any person who is the holder of an unexpired work permit granted in accordance with the Immigration Act 1987 (except if issued under “crew of foreign chartered fishing vessels” or “recognised seasonal employer” Immigration NZ work policies);