Thread: Unsure what to apply for next

TravelGuy is offline Junior Member

Default Unsure what to apply for next

Hi

I was born in NZ and my wife is from Korea. We were married at the beginning of June last year. She is currently on work visa under partnership which is due to expire in December this year. We want to go to Korea in October this year for 3 weeks to see her sister get married. I heard PR takes a long time to process so do we apply for PR soon or apply for another work visa under partnership and a work visa so she can get back into NZ?

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Can you tell if her work permit is multi-entry? That would allow her to go out and get back in again. I wouldn't like to say how long it would take for a PR application to go through because it can depend on how busy the particular branch is that you are dealing with, so there may be a need to renew the work permit anyway at some point if this is possible.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TravelGuy is offline Junior Member

There is no multiple re entry option on the Visa that she has now. We live in Auckland CBD

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you can prove you have been living together for 12+ months, it might be worth starting a PR application and then, at least, you will have something underway. If your wife only got a 12-month permit because your relationship hadn't existed for a full 12 months when she applied, she may need to note this......

V3.15.1 Policy on duration of permits for partners of New Zealand citizens or residents

1. Provided a visa or immigration officer is satisfied the principal applicant and New Zealand citizen or resident partner are living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable the duration of any permit granted under this policy is dependent on the duration of their partnership.
    2. If, the partnership has existed for less than 12 months at the time the application is assessed then the first permit granted under this policy must not exceed 12 months from date of arrival in New Zealand. Further permits may be granted upon application for up to a maximum of two years from date of arrival if:
    1. during the validity of the first permit an application for residence under Family category, Partnership policy is made and the principal applicant wishes to remain in New Zealand pending a decision on their application
    , or
    2. the couple wish to spend more time in New Zealand and a visa or immigration officer is satisfied they are still living together in a genuine and stable partnership.
    3. If the partnership has existed for 12 months or more at the time the application is assessed, then a visitor visa may be issued or a visitor permit granted for the length of their intended stay, up to a maximum of 2 years from the date of their arrival in New Zealand.

It almost sounds like her PR application needs to be submitted during the life of this first permit, unless I'm reading it wrong. If she has to apply for a further work permit, I'm not sure what the timing on this would be if the current one doesn't expire until December.

I was hoping to see something to indicate work permits under partner sponsorship would be multiple-entry but haven't found anything so far. Bit awkward if you want to leave NZ on holiday but your wife can't come with you. Perhaps someone who has experience of this can tell you the best way to overcome the problem.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.