Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp Visa - looking at long-term stay?

kevin04 is offline Junior Member

Default Temp Visa - looking at long-term stay?

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little bit.

My Girlfriend and I (both 27) are looking at moving to NZ. She has recently finished her studies and has a BA Food Science, and I think could be eligable for a Silver fern visa as I think Food Technologists/Scientists are in demand in NZ.
    She's originally from Iceland (Sorry about the Volcanco ;) and I'm Scottish and we lived in Iceland for 3/4 years and now want to somewhere new.
    We've been living in our Countries since Jan, trying to save up money for our new adventure.

I don't have a degree, I have an HND, but it is nothing to do with my recent work expeirence. My last few jobs were Support Work in Scotland and Iceland, and at present, I am working as an Ambulance Officer (planning/admin of the Ambulance Service) on a temp contract in Scotland.

My main query is, if we came to NZ on a temp visa - and hopefully both found work, I'd be willing to do anything really and hopefully she would get a start in her career, and if we did happen to like NZ. Would it be possible for us stay on longer?

Thanks in advance for reading this,

All the best,

Kevin

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Kevin,

You could come to NZ on a Working Holiday Visa which would give you the chance to see if NZ is for you. From the UK you could get up to a 23-month WHV, but if you wanted to take on a more permanent job off your own back, it would need to be skilled, one you are qualified to do and you would need a job offer to apply for a work visa/permit. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no WHV scheme for Iceland so your girlfriend would need to explore the Silver Ferm visa if she thinks that would be suitable for her. If she was to be granted such a visa, maybe this would apply and you could probably choose what kind of job you took on.....

Can I bring my family with me if I obtain a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa or permit?

Partners and dependent children of holders of a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa or permit will be eligible for work and student permits (primary and secondary schooling only) for the same period as the Practical Experience visa or permit. If your children wish to study at tertiary level during this period they will have to meet student policy as an international student.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Many thanks for that bear.

Is it easy enough to apply for visa upon arrival, or are you better looking at getting one before you leave?

many thanks,

kevin

Blog Entries

It's up to you really. You can apply from inside NZ if you don't want to do it before you leave the UK. How quickly it's processed can depend on which branch you are dealing with and how busy they are. It has been said that NZ branches can sometimes be busier than in other countries so, if this is the case, it might take a little longer to get your WHV. You can apply online if you wish, which sounds pretty easy.
    Mother Bear

Hi Motherbear,

Thanks again for your help and reply.

We tried for the Silver fern, but all 300 places were snapped up in only 25mins - amazingly fast.

We are a bit stuck really as what to do next, we were hoping to go to NZ on a WHV - and I'd probs get one being Scottish, but with the GF being Icelandic - not really sure what we should do next.
    She's just finished her Degree - Master of Food Technology and is a trained Food Scientist, does applying for interest take a long time?
    I read about a Filipino who took 3 years to get accepted.

Thanks so much for your help,

Kevin

Blog Entries

Yes, applying under the Skilled Migrant Category can take several months at least, depending on the number of points achieved and whether other criteria are met, as it is a points-based system for this permanent type of visa.

I have heard of others who got a WHV and their partner entered NZ on a visit visa. I can't remember how long this visa was for, but it seemed to match the length of the WHV's permit. I looked on the WHV pages on the INZ website for information about partners of WHV holders, but couldn't find anything about this. Under normal circumstances, an Icelandic applicant would get 3 months visa-free but as she would need to stay longer I assume she would have to apply for a longer term visa before she travels. I'm not sure how long this visa would be for, it's usually up to 9 months. If she has a residency application in the pipeline, she may be able to extend that to 12 months if need be. The problem with this, of course, is that she wouldn't be able to work during this time. If she was to find a job offer while in NZ, if she advises INZ that might help to hurry her PR application along. Any WHV holders out there who have their partner with them who isn't on a WHV?
    Mother Bear

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.
    I know a friend of a friend(hearsay's a great thing, eh haha) who entered NZ and then applied from within for a visa, but I've checked the
    Immigration webstie and cannot seem to find any type of visa that might offer this. It was a couple and both
    are Scottish but they both don't have Degrees and work as Support Workers.
    I'm wondering if we might be able to do that.

I've emailed the NZ Immigration team to ask about her eligbality for a WHV as most Scandinvian Countries are on the list (all of them apart from Iceland) probably clutching at straws a bit, but who knows..

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Hi Kevin,

If you're from part of the UK (E.g. Scotland) you don't need a visa to enter NZ. You're allowed to stay up to 6 months without one. You can't work though.

If you want a WHV (from the UK) these are the conditions (from the immigration website)

To be eligible
    You must:

usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application
    have a British passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
    be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
    not bring children with you
    hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket**
    have a minimum of NZ$350 per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
    meet our health and character requirements
    be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
    not have been approved a visa or permit under a working holiday scheme before.

AND

If you are already in New Zealand you also need to hold a valid temporary permit.

Sorry don't know about your girlfriend best bet is to see if you get a response from INZ. It's probably best to apply for the WHV before you go to NZ though, otherwise you'd have to get a temporary permit first. I guess they are trying to prevent people from coming for six months holiday, then applying for a WHV just before they have to go home. (although that would be a bit odd because you can apply for 23 months WHV if you're prepared to go through all the medical checks)

Jof
    Last edited by Jof; 30-04-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks for your reply, Jof.

We are looking at our options right now, and just a bit unsure of what to do.
    If I should apply for a WHV and she comes across with me on without a Visa, and applies for jobs upon arrival, hoping to get a Work Permit, but it seems a bit risky.
    Or, if we should try for a expression of Interest visa.

Is anyone else, been in this situation, or came to NZ and managed to get a visa/sponsor from employer upon arrival?

Thanks Bear and Jof for all your help so far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    I have heard of others who got a WHV and their partner entered NZ on a visit visa. I can't remember how long this visa was for, but it seemed to match the length of the WHV's permit.
    To correct myself on the above, if my memory serves me right, I think it could have been that the WHV holder applied for a work permit once he had a job offer and his family would then have been able to apply for appropriate permits for themselves which enabled them to stay.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast