Thread: WHV - working more than 3months same employer

Mario is offline Junior Member

Default WHV - working more than 3months same employer

Hi, I had a look on the internet but i couldn't find much to help me even if im sure my situation is not that original..
    Basically, I got to nz on whv after spending an year in australia, I found a job in a farm and i worked here from the 12th january (on the books, ird number and contract), so i would have to leave on the 12th april, but my employer would want me to stay 'till june, which is fine for me (of course i didn't tell him my visa doesn't expect me to work for the same employer for more than 3 months, i know you might think is a bit selfish and stupid but elseway i would have never got a job...)
    So here's the question: what happens if i'll just carry on working for more than 3 months on whv? I found (surfing the web) that few people just kept working for the same employer for the hole year happily, is that possible?
    What would I have to do to get a work permit that's not restricted on 3months same employer? I asked my boss and he said he's helped another employee before getting a permit but he doesn't know/remember what he has to do he wants me to tell him

Thank you very much for your support,
    Mario

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Mario, welcome to MTNZ.

If your employer only wants to keep you for a few extra months rather than permanently, you wouldn't be able to apply for a work permit, for which you would have to prove that the job is ongoing. Perhaps this would apply to you although it does state that the extra 3 months should come at the end of your stay in NZ.

Working holidaymakers who are able to show they have worked in the horticulture or viticulture industries for at least three months could be eligible to obtain an extra three month stay in New Zealand. For more details on this policy, please see the page about the Working Holidaymaker Extension permit.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Mario is offline Junior Member

Oh no that's not quite what I was asking, my concerns are not much about the extra 3 months to stay in nz, is just that on the conditions of my visa it says that i'm not supposed to work for the same employer for more than 3 months, which means I would have to leave my job in less then a month, i was wondering if someone knows what are the consequences of keep working for the same employer more than 3 months on a whv or, in case my employer would be cane to sign me a contract for 1 or 2 years what i would have to do to apply for a 1 or 2 years work permit/visa

Thanks for your help!