Faster rural internet a step closer
4:00AM Friday Sep 11, 2009
By Helen Twose

Faster internet is on the way for rural New Zealand after the Government outlined speed and coverage targets.

Communications and IT Minister Steven Joyce has promised minimum broadband speeds of between one and five megabits per second within six years for the one million people in rural areas.

These speeds are on a par with what is currently available in metropolitan areas and would enable users to watch video clips, stream music and podcasts and have VoIP conversations.

Within the six-year timeframe, 93 per cent of rural schools will get fibre networks delivering broadband at speeds of at least 100 megabits per second, with the remaining 7 per cent getting speeds of more than 10 megabits per second.

More here.