Thread: NZ family fight to keep sick mum

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default NZ family fight to keep sick mum

NZ family fight to keep sick mum
    4:00AM Monday Aug 24, 2009
    By Lincoln Tan

Every time Evangeline Acero Stanners looks at her two young children, she is reminded of how little time she has left with them.

The Filipina mother of two New Zealand-born children, aged 2 and six months, has been told by Immigration New Zealand that she will have to leave when her work permit expires in January - despite being married to a New Zealander.

Immigration has told Mrs Stanners, 35, that she will not be granted residency, which she applied for in June last year, because she was diagnosed with having advanced kidney disease during her second pregnancy last year.

"If I have to leave my children, I know it might be the last time that I will see them, ever. As a mother, my fight to stay alive is so that I can be here for them," she said.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Robotnik123 is offline Junior Member

A sad story. On the upside I think it unlikely they will actually turf her out, esp. now the case is in the media. I know one lady on dialysis that INZ has been trying to get rid of for at least the last 5 yrs, she's single, but she keeps appealing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    NZ family fight to keep sick mum
    4:00AM Monday Aug 24, 2009
    By Lincoln Tan

Every time Evangeline Acero Stanners looks at her two young children, she is reminded of how little time she has left with them.

The Filipina mother of two New Zealand-born children, aged 2 and six months, has been told by Immigration New Zealand that she will have to leave when her work permit expires in January - despite being married to a New Zealander.

Immigration has told Mrs Stanners, 35, that she will not be granted residency, which she applied for in June last year, because she was diagnosed with having advanced kidney disease during her second pregnancy last year.

"If I have to leave my children, I know it might be the last time that I will see them, ever. As a mother, my fight to stay alive is so that I can be here for them," she said.

More here.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sick mother granted medical waiver to stay with NZ family
    4:00AM Friday Aug 28, 2009
    By Lincoln Tan

Richard and Evangeline Stanners with Josh and Izzy. Photo / Simon Baker

A sick Filipina mother with failing kidneys has been granted a medical waiver allowing her to stay with her New Zealand family.

Evangeline Acero Stanners, of Christchurch, said she cried for two hours after being told of Associate Immigration Minister Kate Wilkinson's decision over the phone yesterday morning.

"I just kept hugging my children, and I guess crying is just a normal response," she said. "Words cannot explain how happy I am.

"I am still stunned by the announcement. I am so grateful at being given this chance to be able to plan for my future, and a chance to be around for my children's future."

More here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.