Thread: Some views - employ kiwi over expat?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Some views - employ kiwi over expat?

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Lonely is offline Junior Member

No they should not they should be able to employ whom they want.

But after being unemployed for nealry 5 months I really felt out of it, going for interview after interview and getting knock back after knock back I can really say it sucks.

Also applied for lots on trade me and seek and 3/4 off them never even replied, Got one interview and 300 applied got down to the last 2 then lost out to a 19 year old good on them but IMHO it was to do with accent and wages.

So depressing and makes you feel worthless.

Employment agencys do not care either as I think to many looking for work so they can take there pick if your face fits you are laughing. think I need a face lift.

My advice to people is to go to the Career services they helped me so much as I felt such a failier they helped me with everything and also went over my CV to adjust for Kiwi Employers, My let down I think and I had spent many nights crying thinking what am I doing wrong.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I posted something along these lines on Facebook a short while ago.

My take on it is that the returning kiwis, in the first place, went to live and work abroad of their own choice. They reaped the rewards of their labour, gave their skills to other countries and did not pay taxes in NZ. Now they are back in the country because their bubble has burst and the government is showing its loyalty to them by easing them into jobs that have probably been occupied all this time by migrants who paid a heap of money and gave up a lot to get to NZ. They also supported the NZ economy by contributing to the tax system, filled the slots left by the absent kiwis and generally kept the country running.

The NZ government is trying to be loyal to its newly returned citizens, but where was the loyalty when the kiwis left NZ in a cloud of dust, headed for richer pickings? By all means give jobs to kiwis who loyally remained in NZ, if they are prepared and capable to do them, but the returning ones need to take their turn in the queue. The government also needs to get its priorities and its loyalties straightened out.

*runs for cover*
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Vile is offline Junior Member

I admit I'm biased, but I've always felt that no country should put up unreasonable blocks to prevent foreign nationals working there (and I stress working). Competition fosters growth, and if people have to compete against a larger labour pond, then that can only lead to improvements in local schooling / training standards. The best person for the job should be the person in the job, regardless of colour, creed, or other geographical accident of birth.

shorter of breath, and one day closer to death