Thread: Pregnant? Pack up and go home

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Pregnant? Pack up and go home

Pregnant? Pack up and go home
    Page 1 of 2 .... 4:00AM Monday Jun 01, 2009
    By Lincoln Tan

Women who get pregnant while in New Zealand on temporary residency permits are being told to leave the country to have their babies because of a shortage of maternity services.

The women are being told they cannot give birth here even if they are prepared to pay the full medical and maternity care costs.

Immigration New Zealand has told one pregnant woman that - despite her financial stability - she would "be putting an additional strain on our already short services", which the department claimed were "stretched in most areas of the country".

Two married international students - facing removal orders after becoming pregnant - say the decision to throw them out is "unduly harsh and discriminatory".

One said she planned to complain to the Human Rights Commission. But a commission spokesman said that although the Human Rights Act listed "discrimination due to pregnancy", there was specific provision to exempt immigration matters.

One of the aggrieved students, a 29-year-old from China who is six months pregnant, said Kiwis criticised her country over its lack of human rights, but international students who became pregnant in NZ had fewer rights than anyone in China.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

I have spent my last week at 2 hospitals in Auckland City as my partner was there for over a week... if anyone has spent some time at any hospital in Auckland, can't speak for any other ones, they will understand why immigration has put this into place..
    Hospitals here are a crazy place, and everyone you meet in the lifts says exactly the same :)

Our hospitals are in no way prepared for the amount of people that come through! I had to drive to the hospital to give him pain killers, as he had been waiting for over 4 hours with immense pain and no one gave him medication! it was absolutely crazy!!!!

NZ is struggling to fit kiwis in to give birth and anything else they need treated etc at hospitals, I am not surprised they have put this into place at all!!!!
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

Blog Entries

Pregnant tourist given permit allowing NZ birth
    Page 1 of 2 ..... Updated 1:50PM Tuesday Jun 09, 2009
    By Lincoln Tan and NZPA

Immigration New Zealand has offered a heavily pregnant Lithuanian tourist a permit to stay in the country to give birth because of risks to her and her baby's health.

The department had earlier ordered 29-year-old Jurga Skiauteris to leave the country - despite a doctor's warning that she must be near medical help at all times and that travel could harm her and her child.

Immigration NZ's chief executive Andrew Annakin told NZPA today that Mrs Skiauteris was offered a limited purpose permit yesterday.

The permit would allow her to give birth in New Zealand because of risks to her health, Mr Annakin said.

Mrs Skiauteris' husband had also been offered the permit but numerous attempts to contact the family had not been successful, Mr Annakin said.

More here.
    Mother Bear

borderbear is offline Junior Member

Angry

:mad: I have been here for two years now and have not been too impressed by some issues already which I expected to be different (clean and green lie, gang crime, backwardness and discrimination against foreigners in some areas). But well, that is nothing against this...

Unbelievable. What about the cases that do not get media attention. I am sure that we do not hear about the majority of things.
    Pregnant women that travelling would put at severe risk for their own and their babies lives are forced out of the country. Even though they have all means to meet possible costs, their applications are declined and treatment refused (if it would be the Immigration NZs will). As reasons we hear that the NZ health systems does not have the resources to treat tourists, visitors and temporary residents such as students or those on a two year work permit! :mad: I cannot believe it!
    Tourists sustain a huge part of NZ - more than 25% live of tourism. Foreign students finance NZ universities. Backpackers spent at least $60/day/p.p. which they brought from abroad. People on temporary work permits spend a lot of money on immigration, on equipping their households and buying cars etc - again with money earned abroad. NZ lives largely from these people! If they want to attract ever larger numbers of tourists, foreign students and skilled professionals and are happy to take their big bucks they have to have the resources to have these people in their country including healthcare!!! I cannot just take as much money as I can possible get and then in turn not provide the resources (there are very very few cases in which they are needed any way)!!! What the hell are they thinking?

This is a real eye opener. Those of you that do not have made the move to NZ yet should honestly rethink if they want to live in a country that treats people inhumanely like that. It is deeply ashaming and makes me extremely angry.
    Before that, there has been the case of a family (skilled migrants from the middle east with good jobs and heaps of money) who had been living and working in NZ on temporary work permits for five years that really outraged me. They were refused further work permits and let alone permanet residency because they have a blind daughter. Being blind (or otherwise disabled) is not an acceptable standard of health. The daughter did not use any special services that she could possibly put a strain on and the parents would be able to pay for anything anyway. They have now packed up. Ridiculous and extremly inhuman. I cannot imagine worse discrimination of pregnant women and disabled people anywhere! I think all of this is against the human rights act!
    NZ does not deserve to be perceived as a peaceful clean and green paradise![/B]

Blog Entries

Home birth for student refused visa to stay in NZ
    4:00AM Monday Jun 15, 2009
    By Lincoln Tan

A Korean woman who was refused a student visa because she is pregnant is arranging to have her baby at home or in a private clinic in a last ditch attempt to stay in New Zealand.

Sung Won Kim, 31, and her husband Jin Sung Kang, 33, arrived on visitors' permits in March, but she could not get a student permit in April to complete her horticulture course - despite being willing to pay for her maternity care.

Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman said it was immigration policy not to grant permits to pregnant women because it puts "extra strain on the health system".

"I do not want to tax the New Zealand health system in any way, but I just want to be close to my husband when my baby is born," Ms Kim said.

Ms Kim is applying for an extension to her visitor's permit, which expires on June 21. Her husband, who is applying for a business visa, has just started a motor vehicle business.

Changes to immigration laws in 2006 mean the baby will not obtain citizenship because neither of them are New Zealand citizens.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Maternity care debt in millions
    By RUTH HILL - The Dominion Post
    Last updated 05:00 31/08/2009

Foreigners having babies in New Zealand hospitals are leaving behind unpaid bills totalling millions of dollars for their care.

Figures supplied to The Dominion Post under the Official Information Act show that in Counties Manukau alone, the health board writes off about $1 million a year in bad debts for maternity services but the Health Ministry admits it does not know how many babies are now born to non-resident women.

Chief executive Geraint Martin said about 250 mothers a year were ineligible for publicly funded maternity but fewer than one in five paid up.

"This amounts to approximately $1 million per year in outstanding bad debt for our DHB."

Before 2003, all maternity care in New Zealand was free but the rules were tightened after revelations foreign women were cashing in with "childbirth expeditions".

Since then, taxpayer-funded care has been limited to mothers who have New Zealand citizenship or residency; have appropriate working visas or refugee status; fall under the reciprocal agreement with Australia and Britain; or whose partners are eligible.

Even so, the number of babies born to non-resident women rose from 3248 to 3866 between 2005-06 and 2006-07.

The Health Ministry no longer collects data on babies born to non-eligible women, as maternity funding is devolved to health boards. Wellington Hospital started doing passport checks on expectant mothers in 2006.

Hospital deliveries cost from $5000 to more than $12,000 if a caesarean is required.

Auckland immigration lawyer Aaron Martin said many people on work visas were confused about their entitlements.

"They assume that if they have the money to pay for their care themselves, it should not be a problem ... But they don't realise that because of the shortage of midwives in New Zealand, the Government regards them as taking up resources and depriving New Zealand citizens."

He said the rules were clear, but that information should be more clearly communicated to immigrants.

In June, Jurga Skiauteris, 29, from Lithuania, was granted an extension to her visitor's visa so she could stay in New Zealand to give birth after doctors said it was too dangerous for her to travel.

Though she had health insurance, the Immigration Service had earlier rejected two appeals on the basis Mrs Skiauteris was "not of an acceptable standard of health" a decision criticised by Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman.

Venture Southland settlement co-ordinator Sue Morrison-Bailey said the region had seen a huge influx of foreigners on one-year visas, mainly agricultural workers.

"When I see them bringing in their partners, I apologise and say, 'I know you're devoted Roman Catholics but you really must use birth control because you can't afford to have a baby in New Zealand'. "When they hear it costs $4000 to $5000, they're shocked.
    Ad Feedback

"I would like to see the Government make health insurance compulsory for all people on temporary work permits."

From here.
    Mother Bear

stayhere is offline Junior Member

Question Permanent Pregnancy

Hi all,

My wife and I are in New Zealand on a working holiday basis. But we have submitted our EOI for the Permanent Residency under the Skilled Migrat category (200 points). Last week we were drawn from the pool and now we're waiting to be invited to apply for the Permanent Residency.

Good and bad news is my wife is pregnant. We are more than happy and excited but we don't know how it will affect our application.

From the logical point of view it shouldn't be any problem at all. We're not using the child to get the PR and we have health insurance that will cover the medical costs. From a bureaucratic point of view things might look different. Worst case scenario: My wife is forced to leave the country!!! This would crush our dream of living in New Zealand.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any help, links etc would be highly appreciated.

http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/...-migrants.aspx is only taking into account temporary visas. How can this be applied to our situation?

Thanks! Cheers! All the best!
    Tom
    Last edited by stayhere; 12-11-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi Tom, welcome.

If you read through the full news article in the top post, it says....

Exceptions were granted for partners of NZ citizens or residents and, in some cases, to people applying for a work-to-residence visa or permit.

If INZ is prepared to grant an exception for WTR applicants, I would hope they would consider doing the same for residency applicants. Whether their policy has changed at all since that article was written, I wouldn't like to say. You need to find out INZ's current stance on this, the problem being that you haven't submitted your medicals yet and, technically, your wife will be classed as 'not having an acceptable standard of health' (according to the article). The hope is that you will be allowed to proceed with the application because it is for permanent residency rather than for a temporary visa, which seems to be the root of the problem. Being able to provide financial cover for healthcare and the birth doesn't seem to make any difference as it's the actual resources that are under strain, not just the finances of the matter. I get the impression NZ only wants to throw its healthcare resources at those who intend staying permanently in the country rather than those who just want to stay temporarily before returning to their own country. in some cases, people from certain countries may wish to use NZ's healthcare system to deal with their health issues because the standard of care is better than in their own country and, I guess, this is what INZ is hoping to stop. The link you have posted emphasises that this policy refers to temporary permit holders/applicants so I hope we may assume it doesn't apply to permanent residency applicants.
    Mother Bear

stayhere is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up True

Thanks Motherbeer,

indeed the INZ (I was suprised they answered that quickly) are aiming for temporary visa applicants only.

All the best!