Thread: Texting in classrooms may become the norm

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Texting in classrooms may become the norm

Not sure about this one.

Texting in classrooms may become the norm
    By ALISON PUGH - The Dominion Post | Tuesday, 07 October 2008

New Zealand schools may soon encourage cellphones in the classroom after this week's launch of a hi-tech teaching tool in which students text answers to teachers.

The device, called Activexpression, allows teachers to ask questions on the board via a computer, and students can then text their answer through their Activexpression cellphone.

The software instantly produces a graph or chart on the board displaying the students' answers, allowing teachers to gauge the class's understanding at a glance.

The technology is already being used by a Southland Girls' High School class.

Year 7 student Caitlin Wood, 12, said her class liked the new technology.

"It is quite fun. It's more fun than just doing maths normally or writing it out. Everybody enjoys it," she said.

Canterbury University professor of e-learning Niki Davis said incorporating text messaging was just one example of the "ecology of learning".

"It's a tremendous opportunity.

"It's what students are doing these days. We can get them to engage in learning and assessment," Davis said.

"Teachers find it exciting that they can go on to the same page as the students."

The system allowed teachers to immediately grasp the class's understanding of a topic, she said.

Claims that literacy standards would drop owing to education-endorsed texting were not true.

Teachers would set the style guidelines and could insist students use full English and punctuation.

Activexpression will be showcased at the Ulearn schools conference at the Christchurch Convention Centre from tomorrow until Friday.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

studynz2008 is offline Junior Member

This is such a good idea but it will lessen the "interaction of students & teachers" during classes.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I'm all for moving ahead with the times, but IMHO I think this is a crazy idea, least of all because, as studynz says, it will not encourage communication between teacher and students. The art of conversation and interaction is getting lost these days and don't even get me started on spelling and punctuation - its ideal for actual texting but nobody under 18 these days can spell 'yourself' (urslf) or 'tomorrow' (tmoz)

Bah humbug

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    don't even get me started on spelling and punctuation - its ideal for actual texting but nobody under 18 these days can spell 'yourself' (urslf) or 'tomorrow' (tmoz)

Bah humbug
    Shut ur gob u maudi rs! Dat y ur tx tek 20 mins 2 rite n read coz u 2 anal 2 use tx spk!!

Luv u really xxxx
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    - its ideal for actual texting but nobody under 18 these days can spell 'yourself' (urslf) or 'tomorrow' (tmoz)
    I'll join the Anal Club and stand alongside WG. It is great for texting but, in everyday life, I worry how on earth foreigners, who may have spent a bit of money learning to speak English, can understand us now. It's not fair on them, having gone to the trouble of learning English but someone has moved the goalposts. I'll bet there's a large number of us olds who can't understand half of what's being said, too.

I'm trying to resist using text speke because I would be concerned about losing the ability to write my own language properly. Text speke encourages laziness and it's easy to fall into because of that. It comes to something when foreigners can speak and write our language better than we can. Shaming, really.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.