Thread: Where boys can be boys

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Where boys can be boys

School bringing bullrush back
    By JOHN HARTEVELT - The Press | Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Bullrush will be back in the schoolyard at a new Christchurch school due to open in February.

After four years of planning, the Holistic Education Trust will establish its school on the former horticulture campus of the Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology (CPIT) in Opawa.

The school will carry the site's former name, Seven Oaks.

Trust chairman Bruce McIntyre said the school's philosophy would embrace aspects of conventional state education, Montessori, Steiner and "the good old Kiwi outdoor life".

"We believe that boys need to run around and play bullrush and climb trees and get scraped knees. It's about being real - as real as we can be," he said.

"As long as we start shutting down massive parts of our beings, then we're going to continue to live unhappy lives and destroy the planet."

McIntyre founded outdoor apparel company Macpac.

The school had chosen eight teachers from 105 applicants, McIntyre said.

It would be led by principal Gaike Knottenbelt, formerly with Nelson College for Girls and a former director of Outward Bound.

Knottenbelt said the private school would provide a significant point of difference.

"Kids need to be able to have adventures and take risks. Stubbing toes and getting a plaster here or there is all part of being a kid and growing up," he said.

The school is expected to open with 80 pupils aged five to 10.

McIntyre said he planned to increase the roll by 24 each year, up to 360 pupils.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Not just the boys, MB! I have fond memories of many lunchtimes spent playing bullrush - until someone broke a collarbone & they banned it
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

For those of us not familiar with the obvious delights of bullrush, perhaps you could explain the finer points for us, Sal. Broken collar bone? It's not a game for wimps then?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Yes, its brutal... but if you cant hang w/ the game dont play, they call bullrush american eagle in america...its fun, passes time, brings out the true survival self.
    I also invented a game when I was a child. My late best friend and I were bored one summer night in the garage, and I saw a pile of old shoes in the corner???? We decided to stuff rags inside the shoes and soak them w/ gasoline. We had a very large yard in the countryside and the police were not an issue, so we lite the shoes on fire and began to hit them around the dewy yard w/ golf clubs(preferably irons)....WOW!!! Fireshoe was born
    What were we thinking?