Thread: Anger greets axing of UK scholarships

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Anger greets axing of UK scholarships

Anger greets axing of UK scholarships
    5:00AM Wednesday July 16, 2008
    By Alanah May Eriksen

University chancellors are blasting Britain's decision to slash a university scholarship programme which has drawn hundreds of New Zealand students to England.

From next year, Britain will no longer fund the prestigious Commonwealth Scholarships for students from developed countries such as New Zealand, Australia, and Canada.

About 25,000 students have won Commonwealth Scholarships since they were instituted in 1959.

Many of those who completed the scholarships in Britain returned to their homelands to play leading roles in cultural, intellectual and political life.

About five New Zealanders were chosen a year and previous scholars have included Deputy Prime Minister Michael Cullen and Law Commissioner Professor John Burrows.

University of Auckland deputy vice-chancellor Raewyn Dalziel said the Vice-Chancellors Committee expressed its opposition to the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission

"I think it is a closing of opportunities that a number of New Zealanders have had over a long period of time so we regret it certainly from that point of view.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

As a Brit, I'm ashamed that the UK Government has decided to do this. Unfortunately, it's symptomatic of the way the UK is these days. It annoys me that they willingly give money to illegal immigrants from the Middle East and Eastern Europe, but slam the door in the face of people who are still officially classed as The Queen's Subjects.

Surely it's time that NZ took itself seriously and became a republic.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The UK is becoming a joke. It's certainly it's own worst enemy and seems to have its' priorities completely askew. I'm with Koko on this one. Seems like they have the 'Sod you, I'm alright Jack!' attitude.

I read somewhere recently that British people are leaving Britain in droves and more immigrants are arriving. In just a few years the British will not be representative of the British population. Sounds like rats deserting a sinking ship to me
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

I agree too. Just makes us realise we did the right thing in leaving. The UK is only gonna get worse, is it any wonder all the true Brits want to leave.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Not an anger but observation. The UK is strongly influenced by the EU and building closer ties to it. The former commonwealth is slowly disappearing due to economic issues. There is no benefit to being a member anymore other than maybe having your army sent to somewhere you have nothing to do with.

I bet I get some backlash on that one.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I don't think many people on the forum would disagree with you there Cliff. It's a shame that British politicians don't have any sense of loyalty. There will be uproar in Westminster when the Kiwi and Aussie republicans finally break the ties. I know which way I'll vote if it ever goes to a referendum..........

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Ozzie will be first.they had a referendum already but I think next time it may pass. New Zealand will follow suit at some later date. There is talk about it but not a big movement at the moment.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."