Thread: Calls for outdoor smoking ban

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Calls for outdoor smoking ban

Calls for outdoor smoke ban
    By DAVE BURGESS - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 11 June 2008

Smokers are already banned from lighting up in pubs and restaurants - now there are moves afoot to stop them doing it outside too.

Wellington City Council is facing calls to ban smoking outside eating places. The ban could extend to gardens and parks - and council-sponsored events such as the Cuba St Carnival.

Regional Public Health spokesman Kristen Foley told a council committee he would support a move to rid the city of outdoor smoking zones, but conceded any health risk was very low.

Councillor Celia Wade-Brown said smokers outside eating places created an unpleasant atmosphere for other diners. She suggested a gradual change - as with the indoor ban - with smokefree zones introduced in outdoor smoking areas.

Mayor Kerry Prendergast said an outdoor ban would be hard to enforce. She would rather see the Government increase anti-smoking programmes.

Public health officials also called for council-sponsored events to be smokefree. Ms Wade-Brown supported the idea on a case-by-case basis. "And particularly those events involving children."

She also believes inner-city parks should have smokefree zones. Other areas, such as Civic Square, could be totally smokefree.

The council is expected to ban smoking in parks and playgrounds this year. Similar policies exist elsewhere, including Upper Hutt, South Taranaki, Queenstown Lakes and Hawke's Bay.

Hospitality Association chief executive Bruce Robertson said an outdoor ban would be strongly opposed. "The reason for the indoor smoking ban is there is a risk to the passive smoker. There is not that risk when they are smoking outside."

The 2003 Smoke-free Environments Amendment Act banned smoking in restaurants, bars and the workplace from 2004. Despite predictions of dire consequences for the industry, a report published a year later found takings were up.

However, Mr Robertson said up to 30 per cent less alcohol was being consumed in licensed premises than 10 years ago, partly because of the ban.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Tribesman is offline Member

Default To much bother

I was in N/Z recently for 4 weeks on decision making etc. When i got back i decided it was to much bother in N/Z to be a smoker and the ads on fag packets etc put me off, as a smoker for 34 years i packed them in when i arrived home . with the intention of going to NZ and at nearly $11 dollors a packet , and medical comming up etc , i decided to call it a day,5 weeks now an X smoker. So that was another good thing that came out of my trip to NZ.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

As an ex-smoker myself (), I think that's just ridiculous. Sure, make smoking and non-smoking areas outisde, but to ban smoking outside altogether is just a blatant infringement of human rights. Where else are smokers supposed to go?

There will be outcry if that is law is brought in

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Where else are smokers supposed to go?
    I think thats the whole idea! It will drive many to give up so they can have the smoke-free society that the TV ads keep shouting about
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

In 2006, 24% of the people in New Zealand were tobacco users, which was down from 30% in 1986. I believe it is about 25% here in the US (ages 15-64). I live in Ohio, which has banned smoking in public places, but having never been a smoker, I love it! They have even banned smoking in outdoor stadiums, here. But, go across the Ohio river in to Kentucky, and it is a different story. Lots of restaurants have voluntarily banned it, but if you go into a bar - sometimes you can hardly see for the cloud of smoke, and it is guaranteed you will come out smelling downright nasty.

I consider myself pretty liberal, but this is one minority (smokers) I don't mind seeing have their "rights to smoke" violated. I've been a nurse a long time, and I've seen first hand the detrimental effects of smoking on peoples' hearts and lungs. There is not one good thing about smoking. (Just so you know I am not nuts about this issue, my 90 year old mother still smokes (not a lot, and she usually goes outside), and I live with her. Even she doesn't want the smell in the house, LOL!)
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

I kind of agree with. Again never smoked and OH is an ex smoker but- they ban smoking insde pubs and restraunts etc so everyone stands in the door way- espeshially if the weather isn't to great. You still have to walk through all the smoke to get into the place and also isn't good for business either- people might be put of going in because of this or even because it looks like the place is too busy- it's prob empty inside.

I agree with not smoking in playgrounds and busy public places/events etc but on the other hand- if these people choose to smoke then why shouldn't they be able to do it outside- if they had designated areas (with a bin) then that would keep everyone happy.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!