Thread: Petition to revoke smacking bill exceeds 300,000

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Petition to revoke smacking bill exceeds 300,000

I know I put some other posts on here a while ago about the smacking bill but they've disappeared. Perhaps they were targeted by the 'get if off or else' brigade. Feel free to remove it if it causes problems, Taffy.

Petition aiming to revoke smacking bill passes 300,000
    NZPA | Friday, 22 February 2008

A group aiming to overturn the so-called anti-smacking legislation say they have enough signatures to force a referendum.

One of the organisers, Kiwi Party leader Larry Baldock, told a news conference today the petition had gone past the 300,000 target.

"The actual target to force a referendum is 285,019, which is 10 per cent of the electoral roll, but we aimed at 300,000 to be safe," Mr Baldock said.

"As of today we have 322,252 signatures."

The petition asks: "Should a smack as part of good parental correction be a criminal offence in New Zealand?"

Mr Baldock said nearly as many people had signed a second petition question, "Should the Government give urgent priority to understanding and addressing the wider causes of family breakdown, family violence and child abuse in New Zealand".

The petition follows the passing into law of Sue Bradford's bill last year outlawing the defence of reasonable parental correction in assault cases.

It was passed 113-8 after a last-minute amendment put forward by National stating police did not have to pursue inconsequential smacking.

Mr Baldock said the petition would be handed into Parliament at the end of next week, where parliamentary clerks would check on the number of duplicate signatures.

"We think some it impossible some people won't have signed twice - 12 months is a long time - but we are hoping it will be no more than 10 to 15 per cent."

If the petition reaches the official target Mr Baldock said there was a good chance a referendum would be put to voters on election day.

The referendum would not be binding.

Mr Baldock said politicians should not ignore the referendum if it was passed.

"It's not just about pro-smacking or anti-smacking, it's about our democracy. The most recent poll said 74 per cent of New Zealanders were opposed to the bill," he said.

Co-organiser Christine Rankin said Ms Bradford's bill would do nothing to stop child abuse.

From here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Smacking petition may go to referendum
    3:47PM Friday February 29, 2008

Two petitions with a total of more than 600,000 signatures opposing the anti-smacking law have arrived at Parliament.

At first glance, both appear to have the signatures of 10 per cent of voters, making it likely each will lead to a Citizens Initiated Referendum.

These would probably be held at the time of this year's general election.

Backers want the smacking of children to be legalised again, and for the Government to give urgent priority to addressing child abuse and family violence. Petition organiser, Larry Baldock of the Kiwi Party, says it is regrettable they had to go this far.

He says Sue Bradford knows that her anti-smacking bill never had the support of ordinary people.

More here
    Mother Bear

Duke is offline Senior Member

when we were in our last days in NZ, frustrated on having to leave and my daughter wanting to touch everything for sale, and besides her bratty attitude...my OH paused me and educated me about the anti spanking law in NZ....truthfully I think a child needs a good spanking on the arse from time to time, not abuse, but correction w/ punishment... the law wont give mercy if they become troubled adults. AND TO ALL PARENTS OUT THERE, WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE PANSY LOOKING MALES OUT THERE....maybe its a sign of me getting old....anyway....GO NZ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    ....truthfully I think a child needs a good spanking on the arse from time to time, not abuse, but correction w/ punishment... the law wont give mercy if they become troubled adults.
    I'm in this camp and believe that punishing a parent for giving a child a quick whack on the bum won't stop child abuse. If a parent is an abuser, he/she will find a way to vent their anger regardless. Which brings me to the question 'What happens to all the pent up feelings a furious parent stores up when they continually find no release is possible where a child deliberately indulges in antisocial behaviour because it knows the parent can't touch it?'

I don't, for one minute, agree with beating a child, but I'm appalled at what's happening in a world where children are growing up unchecked and without parameters to guide them as to what's acceptable behaviour and what's not. If it can be done verbally and by example that's great, but in a lot of cases it can't and there's nothing left for the parents apart from exasperation and a buildup of negative emotions which may, one day, emerge in another form.
    Mother Bear

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I'm a member of the 'it never did me any harm' brigade. I can count the number of times I received a smack from my parents on one hand - eventually just the threat was enough for me and my siblings to behave. I must also confess to being guilty of using the same punishment on my children. I would like to say that they have come to no harm - but I have my doubts Seriously, a little smack on the hand or bottom to reprimand a child or to get the messge over to them that what they are doing or wrong/dangerous etc... I feel does them no harm. Looking at some the youngsters on the streets today - a quick slap on the back side wouldn't do them any harm
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

So...... that's another 4 signatures to be added to the petition (including me)

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think my name would have to go on that petition as well. Although I don't smack my kids, I use the 'naughty step' and so far this works (mine are only 3 and nearly 2), but when that stops working as effectively I will definitely reconsider my methods. I agree with MB if a parent is going to be abusive they will be abusive, an anti-smacking law isn't going to change that.

As for the pent up anger of dealing with bratty children, we tend to chase our children round the house and scream at them, now that sounds really bad, but the kids think it's hilarious and don't know that I'm using it to release my pent up emotions. I don't know what it's like in NZ but here in England where we've got the anti-smacking scenario we get frowned at when we're mucking about with the kids in pubic, like when we're chasing them, throwing them in the air, dangling them by their ankles, etc, this is all action that my kids love and demand more of. When we're doing this you can see people tutting at us.
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginabridget View Post
    ......we get frowned at when we're mucking about with the kids in pubic
    I'm not surprised.