Thread: Recycling facilities being stepped up

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Recycling facilities being stepped up

Govt announces public recycling bin trial
    Tuesday, 13 November 2007

The Government is to spend $1.5 million trialling more public recycling facilities.

Prime Minister Helen Clark and Environment Minister Trevor Mallard today announced the first four areas in New Zealand to trial recycling facilities in public places under the Recycling in Public Places Initiative.

Wellington City Council, Far North District Council, Kaikoura District Council and Christchurch City Council will be the first councils to receive government support to set up recycling bins in public places.

Mr Mallard said that the government has allocated $4.6m over three years to establish around 600 public recycling bins throughout New Zealand.

The pilot project announced today will cost $1.5m in the first year to install, operate, and publicise.

Miss Clark said tourism industry surveys of overseas visitors' experiences report that the lack of good public waste disposal facilities is one of the most common criticisms received.

"A visible, easily identifiable public recycling facility will help us improve visitor experiences and give more substance to our clean and green reputation," Miss Clark said.

"Household recycling is progressing well, but New Zealand needs more public facilities to encourage recycling of waste.

"This government programme is designed to kick-start a nationwide network of commonly branded recycling bins in public places."

Once the pilots are up and running, and have been evaluated, two more funding rounds for councils will open in 2008 and 2009, and more facilities will be developed across the country, Mr Mallard said.

NZPA

From here
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Good. It was one thing that bothered me when visiting NZ, that their recycling efforts really lagged behind their boasts of being green.

Now if I can get them interested in farmer's markets...
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    Now if I can get them interested in farmer's markets...
    Don't they have these? I'm sure I've heard of people going to them, but perhaps it's only in certan areas.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.