Thread: French Passion Too Much--Henry

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default French Passion Too Much--Henry

Say what you will about the game, but Graham Henry and Richie McCaw personified class and sportsmanship in the postgame press conference.
    French passion too much - Henry - 07 Oct 2007 - RWC: Rugby World Cup news, photos and commentary - new zealand herald

Henry said the All Blacks had not taken scoring chances at decisive moments but conceded the better side had won.

"The French played particularly well defensively, were pretty astute in their gameplan and took their opportunities," Henry told a news conference.

"We are disappointed but realistic and understand the better side won on the day and a lot of credit goes to them. We gave it our best shot and it wasn't good enough. That's the fact of the matter and we have to live with it, accept it and get on."

<snip>

Captain Richie McCaw summed up the mood in the All Blacks dressing room, saying: "The pain in the eyes and the body language sums it up. Some of the guys have probably played their last test for the All Blacks, that hurts as well.

"It's hard to put in words, there are some pretty shattered guys as you would expect.

"I'm at a loss to say why we didn't put our game together as we would have liked. You can make a whole lot of excuses but the boys were ready to play today, but we just couldn't put it out there."
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Well said guys

And so begins the period of mourning..........

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

'Pampered' All Blacks, not Henry, take the blame
    12:48PM Monday October 08, 2007

An angry New Zealand public is pointing the finger at the "pampering" of the All Blacks as much as they are criticising the referee and Graham Henry's player rotation policy as the reason for the national team's shock exit from the World Cup.

In the thousands of Your Views pouring in to the Herald's website, there is some questioning of the new professional money-driven age of rugby which has seen rugby become a "brand".

Photos of the All Blacks published in recent weeks have shown players swimming and looking as if they are on holiday have drawn fire.

One reader today summed up the All Blacks as "an over- hyped team, treated like gods, acted like tin gods".

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

From here .
    Mother Bear

Actually, it's my fault. I move here, soooo looking forward to being in NZ for the RWC and *BAM* knocked out in the quarters. Meanwhile, back in the States, my teams are all winning, winning, winning. The Boston Red Sox look like they're heading for the World Series, the New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys are undefeated--and are early favorites to meet in the Superbowl. :sigh:

Rest assured, forumites, if I happen to leave NZ before 2011, the AB's will win.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I knew you couldn't be ALL perfect KH, you're a curse

But don't leave NZ for the next RWC - just go hide in a corner or something and pretend you're not interested

I've never seen so much downheartedness since the AB's were knocked out - the local radio show is having phones ins, asking how people are feeling and whether they are 'coping'. All a bit tongue in cheek I think, but it really has knocked NZ for six Apparently, the AB's have been the favourites to win every RWC since the year dot, but haven't won it since 1987 - twenty years is a long time to wait.

Ah well, here's to 2011

Actually, I'm beginning to side with those who say they lost because of Henry's 'rotation.'

The rotation seems like a good idea, but now that I've had more time to think about it, I've seen similar experiments in American football and baseball go poorly. Obviously, you've got to have players who can come in off the bench and step right into the game, so they've got to have time on the field. However, IMHO, there's a difference between playing the first 60 and playing the last 20. I think Henry was too concerned with having his players physically ready to perform, which the AB's clearly were, and being mentally ready to perform, which the AB's clearly were not.

But, then again, what the hell do I know?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    I've never seen so much downheartedness since the AB's were knocked out - the local radio show is having phones ins, asking how people are feeling and whether they are 'coping'. All a bit tongue in cheek I think, but it really has knocked NZ for six
    Women suffer rugby backlash
    8:00AM Tuesday October 09, 2007

Many women became targets of violence as their partners took out their frustrations following the All Blacks' rugby World Cup loss.

Women's refuges say the demand for their services has been since Sunday's defeat. "We've heard from police there has been an increase in domestic violence and they're our biggest source of referrals," said Catherine Delore, spokeswoman for the National Collective of Independent Women's Refuges.

"The game isn't the only reason for abuse but it's always part of the excuse. The abusers tend to take out their anger on their nearest and dearest."

From here .

Day of mourning.
    Scarred for life .
    Mother Bear

Hmm ... believe me, I have nothing against anyone who helps battered women, so please, don't misconstrue anything I'm about to say.

I'd rather hear this from the police than from a spokesperson for an organization that would benefit, in terms of donations, from the perception that violence against women is up.

I'm skeptical because back in 1993 in the US a similar claim was made about the Superbowl in general and cities that were home to the losing team in particular. You can check it out at Snopes, as usual:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Domestic Violence on Super Bowl Sunday

It's a catch-22 of course. I hope that she's lying, because if she's telling the truth that truth is shameful.