Thread: Solar heating disappoints

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Solar heating disappoints

Some buyers go cool on solar heating panels as old 'mistakes' repeated
    Page 1 of 2 5:00AM Tuesday September 04, 2007
    By Angela Gregory

Solar water-heating systems installed in New Zealand are disappointing some homeowners - with limited power savings and problems including corrosion, leaks and bleached panels, which all affect performance.

Eric Jansseune, a Belgian solar engineer, said people had come to him for advice having spent thousands on under-performing installations.

Mr Jansseune, who now lives in New Zealand, said he spent 15 years in the solar industry in Europe. "We are making the mistakes they made there 20 years ago. There is a lack of expertise in the field."

Mr Jansseune cited a shortage of trained installers, problems with overheating or freezing, and product failures like corrosion or discoloration of solar panels.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Blog Entries

It's a shame that they seem to be reinventing the wheel. If only they would travel to solar energy "capitols" to learn the latest, or listen to people who have learned it already. I know a few people up my way who have lived off the grid, and it's heartening to hear of the innovations since the 70s and 80s. If we ever built a house, I'd rig it to have at least some of its power be solar.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s