Thread: Boom in births strains system

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Boom in births strains system

Boom in births strains system
    5:00AM Saturday August 18, 2007

New Zealand is having a baby boom, and the birth rate is the highest in 35 years.

In the year to June, there were 61,610 births, up 3360 or 5.8 per cent on the previous year and the highest since 1972, when 64,510 babies were born, says Statistics New Zealand.

Women in some parts of the country are having trouble finding places in antenatal classes, and midwives are in short supply.

In Canterbury, hospitals this week reported full antenatal classes and waiting lists so long that some women in the later stages of pregnancy were being told not to bother applying.

More here
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Good job I came back to Uk then, I wouldn't want to have been overloading the system even more

Seriously though I can well believe that midwives are in short supply - when I went for my booking in appointment at around 8 weeks, the midwife said she could only just squeeze me on to her list as she was absolutely booked out already for October!!!

Not that much difference in the UK really though if you believe all you read in the Press, but I've not noticed any shortages - had to spend some time up at the hospital yesterday being monitored and checked over (embarrassingly I collapsed while having some routine tests!!! ) there certainly seemed to be plenty of midwives around on the ward, and I've had no problem registering again in the UK.

Maggie

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I should probably pass on the word to a doula (a midwife's assistant) I know. She says that the need for midwifes here is drying up because so many women (and obstetricians I think) are opting for Caesarian sections.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Midwives

As a midwife who moved to New Zealand from the UK, one of the reasons I moved here was so I had the opportunity to work as an Independent midwife and yes they are in short supply. Yes we were very busy in June, in fact we were busy for about 4 months. I have to go back to University to become an Independent midwife but it will be worth it.
    As for the amount of women that are opting for caesarians, in most cases it is because they have had them before. unlike the UK most women opt to have a baby the usual route. I cannot answer for the areas such as Auckland. The majority of women here have very good care from their midwives, I would say it is superior to the UK because you have the same person looking after you throughout pregnancy and birth. You don't have a stranger delivering your baby, unless you run in to problems and it is a doctor.
    Ok I will get off my soap box now.
    Vee