Thread: World gripped by extreme weather

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default World gripped by extreme weather

Still no mention of Oman and its untypical but historically devastating cylone Gonu . Outside the country it’s as if it never happened, yet inside everyone is still up in arms about it and work will continue for anything up to a year to repair the damage.

World gripped by extreme weather
    12:30PM Wednesday July 18, 2007
    By Edward Gay

Clockwise from top left: Drought in China, heatwave in Germany, floods in New Zealand and freezing in Argentina. Photos / Reuters, Hawke's Bay Today

If you found yourself treading water in Northland or Hawkes Bay over the last two weeks, spare a thought for the citizens of New York where it's so hot, the city has opened 290 "cooling centres".

The facilities provide respite for New Yorkers who can't afford air conditioning in temperatures which are in the high 30s with humidity.

At the other end of the scale, there are reports from across the Tasman that some parts of New South Wales were colder than Antarctica yesterday.

At the Thredbo skifield, the wind chill temperature plummeted to 28 below zero.

Sydney had its coldest night in 21 years, dropping to less than 4C according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

vondermot is offline Member

The world has definitely gone crazy, here in Manchester today we've had brilliant sunshine, followed by torrential rain, then sunshine, then rain, and then sunshine again (still not raining) and its so heavy no I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Tracey

Blog Entries

July month of weather extremes and contrasts
    2:50PM Wednesday August 01, 2007

Waves at St Clair in Dunedin this week. Photo / Otago Daily Times

July brought severe floods, numerous damaging tornadoes, destructive winds, and ice and severe frosts.

The National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (Niwa) said today that rainfall was well above normal in the north and the east of the North Island and in coastal South Canterbury and Otago during July, but below normal in the north and west of the South Island.

Temperatures were below average in the lower South Island, but above average throughout much of the North Island.

Sunshine hours were above average in the west and south of the South Island and below average in the east of the North Island.

More here

And then this.....

Global warming 'could see NZ swamped by refugees'
    Page 1 of 2 5:00AM Wednesday August 01, 2007
    By Angela Gregory

New Zealand could become a climate change lifeboat, swamped with returning expats, Australians and thousands of refugees from the Pacific as the weather plays havoc around the globe.

A book launched in Auckland tonight, with Climate Change Issues Minister David Parker as a guest speaker, focuses on the impact of global warming on New Zealand.

Hot Topic author Gareth Renowden explores the latest evidence from the fourth assessment report of the inter-governmental Panel On Climate Change in a New Zealand context.

Renowden, a science writer from North Canterbury, said New Zealand would not feel the rate of change as much as most countries as it was surrounded by the vast Southern Ocean which would warm relatively slowly.

More here .
    Mother Bear

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Cool

I tried to post on here this morning but there were some problems with the site- were you messing Taffy?
    I will try again now.

I was commenting on our extreme weather of all that rain and then yesterday the sun suddenly rememebered what month it was and we had a nice hot summers day.

Making the most of it I spent the day at the ark with the girls and a picnic, plenty of suncream and sun hats on. Oh yeah- forgot the sun cream and hat for myself and now look like a lobster- should know better with my red hair and fair skin- will have my factor 30 ready for my first NZ summer (although will probably be i n 2008 )

Anyway thought I would let everyone know that we have had at least one day of summer.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ebianca View Post
    I tried to post on here this morning but there were some problems with the site- were you messing Taffy?
    Yes he was! I got caught up in it as well, mid-post. He was playing with the server and bit off more than he could chew.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Bit off more that I could chew?!

Sadly, it was a very simple upgrade, but each time you change something to see if it works, it would take 40 minutes to rebuild itself. All this because stupid people don't check the compatibility of their products before releasing them

Still not working so I've got to have another go later, when things are quiet
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Extreme weather breaks records in '07
    Reuters | Wednesday, 8 August 2007

The world experienced a series of record-breaking weather events in early 2007, from flooding in Asia to heatwaves in Europe and snowfall in South Africa, the United Nations weather agency said.

The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) said global land surface temperatures in January and April were likely the warmest since records began in 1880, at more than 1 degree Celsius higher than average for those months.

There have also been severe monsoon floods across South Asia, abnormally heavy rains in northern Europe, China, Sudan, Mozambique and Uruguay, extreme heatwaves in southeastern Europe and Russia, and unusual snowfall in South Africa and South America this year, the WMO said.

"The start of the year 2007 was a very active period in terms of extreme weather events," Omar Baddour of the agency's World Climate Programme told journalists in Geneva.

While most scientists believe extreme weather events will be more frequent as heat-trapping carbon dioxide emissions cause global temperatures to rise, Baddour said it was impossible to say with certainty what the second half of 2007 will bring.

"It is very difficult to make projections for the rest of the year," he said.

HEALTH CRISIS

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a UN umbrella group of hundreds of experts, has noted an increasing trend in extreme weather events over the past 50 years and said irregular patterns are likely to intensify.

South Asia's worst monsoon flooding in recent memory has affected 30 million people in India, Bangladesh and Nepal, destroying croplands, livestock and property and raising fears of a health crisis in the densely-populated region.

Heavy rains also doused southern China in June, with nearly 14 million people affected by floods and landslides that killed 120 people, the WMO said.

England and Wales this year had their wettest May and June since records began in 1766, resulting in extensive flooding and more than $6 billion (2.97 billion pounds) in damage, as well as at least nine deaths. Germany swung from its driest April since country-wide observations started in 1901 to its wettest May on record.

Mozambique suffered its worst floods in six years in February, followed by a tropical cyclone the same month, and flooding of the Nile River in June caused damage in Sudan.

Uruguay had its worst flooding since 1959 in May.

Huge swell waves swamped some 68 islands in the Maldives in May, resulting in severe damage, and the Arabian Sea had its first documented cyclone in June, touching Oman and Iran. (At last a little mention but 'touching'??? It did a hell of a lot more than just 'touched', more like steamrollered. ).

Temperature records were broken in southeastern Europe in June and July, and in western and central Russia in May. In many European countries, April was the warmest ever recorded.

Argentina and Chile saw unusually cold winter temperatures in July while South Africa had its first significant snowfall since 1981 in June.

The WMO and its 188 member states are working to set up an early warning system for extreme weather events. The agency is also seeking to improve monitoring of the impacts of climate change, particularly in poorer countries which are expected to bear the brunt of floods, droughts and storms.

From here .
    Mother Bear