Thread: Solar heating carrots

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Solar heating carrots

Solar heating carrots
    6:00AM Tuesday July 17, 2007

Builders and developers are being encouraged to put solar water heating in new homes.

The Government is offering a $3000 grant to builders who construct more than 20 houses a year to install a solar water heating system in a show home.

In addition, a $500 grant per home is available for builders who commit to installing a system in at least 20 new homes within a year.

From here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

vondermot is offline Member

Ahhhh...... did wonder how they were going to have solar heated veggies.

I think its a good idea. Have said that they should do the same here (to capitalise on what sun we do have), builders to install them as standard practice, buying in bulk and incorporating as part of house price, adding water butts etc, energy saving light bulbs, in fact anything to make being green/recycling easier. I try and do my bit as little as it is.

Tracey

Blog Entries

I was just having a discussion with hubster about why we don't have more solar energy here where there's wall to wall sunshine for 10 months of the year. He reckons it's either too expensive to install or not readily available, but many people in this region are mega rich through the oil and could afford it 10 times over. They can also afford to ship in whatever they wish from other countries but still we're lacking in the green energy department. There are some solar-powered parking ticket dispensers and, in parts of the countryside there's a few solar-powered street lights, but that's about it other than in the desert oil fields where they use a bit of solar power. Is it just laziness that more isn't done to utilise the sun's energy here, I ask myself? Very puzzling when they can't use the one renewable commodity they have so much of, which would leave them more oil to sell abroad.
    Mother Bear

vondermot is offline Member

Maybe its because they've got soooo much money they don't have to worry about their eleccie bills!!

Tracey

Blog Entries

That thought did cross my mind, but what a waste of natural resources. It would make me feel a lot better if I knew that, whilst I was suffering this dreadful heat, at least the sun that causes my discomfort was being put to good use. The oil in this region won't last forever, so they need to look ahead to the future and put things in place now. Because they have so much money, they are the very ones who could afford to take on solar power now. Once their oil money goes, it'll be too late. Still, they're not going to listen to me, are they?

Mother Bear