Thread: Shocking number of drunks on the road

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Angry Shocking number of drunks on the road

Shocking' number of drunks on the road, say police
    2:11PM Saturday July 07, 2007

A nationwide blitz on drink-driving last night found a "shocking" number of drunk drivers on the roads and it appears drink-driving is on the rise, police say.

The blitz, the second of Operation Raid, stopped 26,760 drivers and found a shocking 236 drunk drivers, national road policing manager Superintendent Dave Cliff said.

A further 42 people were awaiting the results of blood tests.

"Police remain saddened and concerned that so many drivers are still prepared to risk their own lives and those of others by driving while impaired," he said.

"A range of indicators are showing that the level of drink driving has been rising.

Drink drive prosecutions have been increasing by around 1000 per year, alcohol related injury crashes have been increasing and recently, the number of dead drunk drivers has also risen," he said.

"We cannot afford to be complacent even though nowadays most thinking people say they do not drink and drive, the evidence here shows that there are more out there than we like to admit."

Mr Cliff said for the first time since alcohol surveys began, drink drive rates had risen from 0.7 per cent of late night drivers (between 10pm Friday and 2am Saturday) in 2004 to 0.9 per cent in 2006.

This was a "statistically significant increase", he said.

Also, the Public Attitudes to Road Safety Survey showed that less than 50 percent of drivers believed it was likely they would be stopped at a checkpoint, the lowest level since 1999.

Mr Cliff said the first Operation Raid nationwide blitz in May tested more than 43,000 drivers and resulted in more than 350 facing prosecution.

"Atrocious weather conditions" last night meant traffic was lighter, so less drivers were stopped.

- NZPA

From here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

War on drink-driving failing
    By REBECCA PALMER - The Dominion Post | Monday, 9 July 2007

Drink-driving rates are climbing despite a multimillion-dollar advertising campaign, bringing fresh calls for a lower legal limit.

National road policing manager Superintendent Dave Cliff said the number of drink-drive prosecutions was rising by 1000 a year, and the percentage of drivers caught drunk behind the wheel had also increased.

There were more alcohol-related injury crashes and the number of drivers killed after drinking had risen recently after dropping for many years.

He said Kiwis liked to believe drink-driving was a thing of the past, but the extent of the problem had been shown by a nationwide blitz on Friday, with a shocking 236 of the 26,760 drivers stopped proving to be over the limit.

That equated to nearly 0.9 per cent, in line with an increase in late-night drink-drivers from 0.7 per cent in 2004 to 0.9 per cent last year - described by Mr Cliff as a "statistically significant" change.

"Even though nowadays most thinking people say they do not drink and drive, the evidence here shows that there are more out there than we would like to admit," Mr Cliff said.

He renewed calls for drink-drive limits to be lowered.

Transport Safety Minister Harry Duynhoven said yesterday the Government would consider lowering it, though not immediately.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Alac joins call for drop in alcohol limits
    Page 1 of 2 5:00AM Friday July 13, 2007
    By Juliet Rowan

Calls are mounting from authorities for a reduction in alcohol limits for drivers.

The Alcohol Advisory Council (Alac), Accident Compensation Commission, and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons have endorsed a proposal to cut blood-alcohol limits to almost half their current level for drivers over 20 and to virtually zero for younger drivers.

The support for the police proposal represents a turnaround for Alac, which until recently opposed lower limits, saying evidence in favour of them was uncompelling.

But chief executive Gerard Vaughan yesterday said the council had reviewed research from countries that had lowered their limits and it now believed reducing blood alcohol would save lives.

"It represents a development of thinking at Alac," he said.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Wont a reduction in limit just mean an increase in people booked? The only way to curb people going over the limit, is not to have a limit - just make it illegal full stop. Other than that, they need to issue breathalisers to everyone with a license, so they can test themselves before getting in a car.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Wont a reduction in limit just mean an increase in people booked? .
    Yes.

I guess they're just hoping that a reduction in the limit will make people realise they can't drink as much as they could previously, before getting into a car. Personally I doubt it will make much difference as a lot of these people appear to be hardened drinkers and have been drink driving for years . Once you've got a few bevvies inside you, you don't have the same sense of what's right and what's wrong any more, therefore, you'd see no problem in getting behind the wheel of a car. Alcohol in sufficient quantities would numb a driver into disregarding any warning bells that went off in his/her head about driving or carrying out any other illegal activity for that matter. It endows people with a certain bravado and devil-may-care attitude. The only way around that would be to ban drinking and driving totally. It's all very well saying that you can have 2 or 3 drinks but how many can stop at that? 'Oh, I'll just have one more before I go'.

Perhaps lowering the limit and pushing up the number of bookings by the police will highlight what a big problem drink driving is, although they do seem to realise it is becoming more of a problem and is considered to be socially acceptable. I would like to see research being done to find out WHY people need to drink to excess in the first place. It's not just the drink driving that's a problem, but also violence within the family which is another big issue NZ has to cope with.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

I thought the idea of those breathalisers that can be installed in to cars was good, and you cant start the car unless you pass the breath test. I know people say you could just get someone else to blow in to it, but if the police still carried out random breath tests and found you over the limit, the penalties should be ridiculous, like minimum $10,000 fines and 10 years in prison, and banned from driving forever. With silly fines like a few hundred dollars and 6 months ban, it's no big risk to people. If people knew they could lose 10 years of their life for it, they would think twice.

Worse still, they could give them permanent residency in the UK. Makes me shiver at the thought of it.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    I thought the idea of those breathalisers that can be installed in to cars was good, and you cant start the car unless you pass the breath test.
    How does that work then? If you want to pop to the shops or down to the doctor's or go out for a walk in the park, surely you wouldn't have to do the breath test in the car before you set off? How can they isolate the occasions when you'd really need to use it? Must say I haven't heard of this, but living here in a Muslim country, don't suppose I would.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

I don't think it was ever a contender for production, just an idea someone came up with. But yes, it involved you having to give a breath sample before the car would start, pretty much like a normal immobiliser would work.
    Taffy

Blog Entries

Oh right, the way you were talking I thought it was available. Would be good to use for pub crawling but difficult to get around at other times when you use the car.

Come on Taffy, think up some invention that will be a goer in situations like this. You'd make a fortune and we'll all help you spend it. Sorted.

You could open a string of MoveToNZ hotels around NZ for immigrants off the forum.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Drink driver: How can you justify this?
    5:00AM Monday July 23, 2007
    By Elizabeth Binning

The drunk man in the booze bus seems to think he is an innocent victim.

"You don't seem to appreciate the impact you have on people's lives," he fumes at the police officers, totally missing the irony of his comments.

"What was I going to do? I'm going 1km to my home and what does that prove? Was I going to go through a pedestrian crossing and kill a child? It's astounding how you can justify this."

The 46-year-old has been drinking at a local pub and is on his way home at 5.45am when he goes through the Symonds St checkpoint, one of 11 operating around the city in the early hours of Saturday morning.

More here .
    Mother Bear