Thread: Incomes soaring?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Question Incomes soaring?

Kiwis wealthier as incomes soar
    By COLIN ESPINER - The Press | Wednesday, 20 June 2007

Feeling wealthier? Statistics say you should be, even though most people are paying more tax.

Statistics New Zealand figures, taken from the 2006 census, show median personal incomes have jumped 32 per cent since 2001, while family incomes are up 28 per cent.

The increases are "real" because wages outstripped price rises, with the price of goods and services, as measured by increases in the consumer price index, up by 13 per cent over the same period.

However, National says the increases mean people are paying more tax because of "bracket creep" – taxpayers moving into the next tax bracket as their income increases.

When Labour came to power in 1999 it promised that no more than 5 per cent of taxpayers would pay the top tax rate of 39c in the dollar on income over $60,000. The statistics show that is now over 10 per cent.

The biggest increase in median incomes was in the $50,000 to $70,000 income band, with the number in that bracket increasing from 6 per cent in 2001 to 10 per cent.

The numbers in the lowest income bracket of $5000 to $10,000 dropped from 13 per cent to 8 per cent over the same period.

The median income means half receive more and half receive less than this amount.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Kiwis wealthier as incomes soar
    By COLIN ESPINER - The Press | Wednesday, 20 June 2007

Men continued to earn more than women, with the median male wage at $31,000 compared to $19,000 for women.

From here .
    The median wage is $19,000 for women? Wow! While I am not moving to NZ to become rich, I certainly hope I find a job with a better salary! I know that the salary for my job category is higher but how do single mothers earning this type of income manage to survive? Does the Government offer tax breaks for the lower income families? At this salary they shouldn't be taxed at all!

I am a single mother but I have done well for myself both professionally and financially but I also had the education and resources to better myself. I helped a woman here in Bermuda who was about to be evicted from Government housing, believe it or not. She had 3 children and worked 2 jobs and still could not cover all of her bills. She wanted to better herself by taking courses to become a nurses aide. I really felt for her and managed to help stop the eviction by making a payment to the Government. Yet, after getting herself into such a big hole I wondered how she would ever get out of it. As soon as she finishes her courses and starts to earn more money, she will lose her eligibity for social assistance but still won't be at a level to help herself and will never get herself out of the hole.

How does NZ handle situations like this? While it is not my intention to become one of the impoverished (although it could happen), I would like to know about the social issues of NZ and whether the Government recognizes and has social programmes in place. It goes a long way in showing what type of value a country puts on its people.

I know I sound like a do-gooder (that is my mood tonight) but if I could do more for people less fortunate than me, I would.

Shell

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

These stats also usually take in to account people who receive no income at all. When you consider a great deal of women will only work part time or not at all, it's not suprising the median figure is so low.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    I know I sound like a do-gooder (that is my mood tonight) but if I could do more for people less fortunate than me, I would.

Shell
    Ho ho, this rings of familiarity!! Do-gooder was thrown at me as an insult once by a certain short-lived member.....Goss....something or other.....I forget! Join the club gal, join the club!! We'll do good and dodge the tomatoes together
    Last edited by Dawn; 21-06-2007 at 11:01 PM.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Join the club gal, join the club!! We'll do good and dodge the tomatoes together
    I figured I would hear from you on this subject I remember your "relationship" with Goss...something or other! I am a softy which you have already figured out. I'd rather be a do-gooder than a Goss...something or other. Glad to be a part of the club